How To prevent Alzheimer's and Dementia
What pre-dementia symptoms events do you have the most off?See results without voting
Dementia is actually a term for many forms of memory loss. Alzheimer's Disease is a severe form of Dementia. Some forms of dementia can be prevented and possibly reversed, especially if it was a stroke sometimes people can't talk at first but if they try to keep talking and work at it sometimes they can bounce back, this type is vascular dementia it is defined by damage caused to your brain by stroke or heart attack. or bleeding stroke. Head trauma is one of the main causes of dementia.I have spent most of my adult life caring for Alzheimer's and Dementia clients and as an activities director, it is necessary for me to learn all I can to help clients in the best way possible. Alzheimer's can be "set back" or prevented in a way, but it cannot be avoided altogether. With Alzheimer's, the only real way to officially tell is an X-ray. Many people are afraid they have dementia, lots of times they are undernourished and sleep deprived or just plain overworked. People who stress out need to take time out and relax. Stress can cause high cholesterol which clogs arteries, which is connected to strokes and heart attacks and can affect people with vascular dementia. Sometimes urinary track infection or thyroid problems mimic dementia. Be sure to check those first. One Doctor told me that people who have to multitask need time to walk or exercise and sort themselves out, because they are burdened daily with too much. This can cause symptoms of dementia as well.
Things you can do to help
- Walking and being aware of your surroundings, don't put on the i pod and tune out, take it all in naturally.
- Tai chi is helpful for Parkinson's Disease and new breakthrough studies say it helps with dementia as well.
- Word search and Crossword puzzles help too.
- Practice basic math & arithmetic
- Exercise and weight training, keeps you focused and strong
- Plan a party & have an adult conversation or visit friends
- Laugh for one minute it releases endorphin's to relieve stress
- Old fashioned games like charades & card games
- Any cognitively stimulating activities, clubs and organizations help.
- Eat antioxidant foods, blueberries,cranberries,apples, cherries and plums. Believe it or not number one is red beans! Also coconut oil, milk & vitamin C too are helpful.
- Take care of a pet they are comforting and help you to remember to care for it.
- One cup Coffee in the morning can help you be more awake, but too much can constrict blood supply.
Great ideas for relaxation
More of Mindy's hubs
- mindyjgirl on HubPages
Welcome! My maiden name was Ray...I like to think I am a ray of sunshine to those around me. Me: HAPPILY married and have four children...
Many people are afraid they have dementia, lots of times they are undernourished and sleep deprived or just plain overworked. Get plenty of rest drink your daily amount of water and see if you react better to life situations. Use crutches like:
- Using the pill boxes with the days of the week on it.
- A diary really helps too write down things you did everyday and use it like a to do list too.
- Keep a calendar and write down appointments up on the fridge.
- Take time out and relax, detox with a cup of green tea.
- If its too noisy and hectic in the house lock yourself in the bathroom and give yourself a nice long hot bath.
- Take a ride out to the lake and listen to your favorite CD.
- Write down all the things that bother you and then decide if you really want to change things and how you want to change it.
Some people are in denial about having dementia. It is important to identify the facts if you have it and prepare for your future. Start making plans about who will help take care of you and your finances. Who will take care of you when you cannot cook or clean. Sometimes just having a caregiver come in and fix meals and help you with taking medications will take the burden off off you and your family.
More by this Author
modeling and fashion, evening gowns and how to wear them in a beauty pageant
Help with veterans benefits, and benefits you might not know about.
influential women in America , tops ten influential women American history , born before 1930, famous women in history presidents wives , Annie Oakley