How To Cure Dandruff Naturally
What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff is caused by malassezia, a yeasty fungus that normally lives on the skin. If this fungus becomes too prevalent then it will create dandruff.
Dandruff causes irritation to your scalp by making it itchy, and to shed millions of dead skin cells mixed with sebum (the skin's natural oil) in the form of white flakes.
This can happen for many reasons including: stress, illness, hormone imbalances, immune suppression, infrequent shampooing, or increased sebum production.
What Should You Do To Avoid Dandruff?
Eat healthy foods. Eating too many unhealthy foods commonly causes dandruff, so it is best to avoid junk food as much as possible. Eat a well balanced diet full of leafy green vegetables, whole grains. Green vegetables are considered the best food to fight dandruff.
Drink plenty of water. Water helps flush out toxins from the body, so it is best to drink mostly water throughout the day. Try to limit your intake of coffee, caffeinated tea, soft drinks and alcohol.
Stimulate your scalp. Be sure to keep your hair and scalp clean by washing it regularly with a natural, herbal shampoo. Comb or brush your hair daily to stimulate the blood vessels in the scalp. For extra scalp stimulation massage your scalp daily, or better yet get someone else to do it for you!
Avoid stressing your scalp. Do not dye or perm your hair, as this can greatly irritate you sensitive scalp. Also avoid over-styling with hot curlers or hair straighteners.
De-stress yourself. Dandruff can easily be cause by living a stressful life. Find ways to unwind and relax each day. This could be soaking in a hot tub or bath. You could also take a long walk or do some other exercise. Practicing yoga and meditation is a great way to eliminate stress from your life.Keep scalp well moisturized. Dandruff tends form more often when the skin is dry. A change in weather rapidly can bring this around. Jojoba oil is the best way to keep your scalp moisturized. Jojoba oil is the closest substance there is to human sebum. Just massage a few drops into your scalp as needed.
Natural Home Remedies For Dandruff
- Apple Cider Vinegar is a most effective cure for dandruff. Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 of water in a spray bottle. Spritz this onto your hair and scalp, avoiding your eyes and ears. Massage into your scalp and leave on for at least 15 minutes before washing out. You may feel it tingle, and that is ok, it is going to work to neutralize your scalp. Do this one or two times a week for 3 months.
- Aloe Vera gel is another great home remedy for dandruff. Simply massage this into your scalp and leave it while you sleep. The next day wash your hair as normal.
- Lemon juice is superb at treating dandruff. Use the juice from 2 lemons and mix with 1 cup of warm water. With head over a closed sink or a large bowl pour the lemon juice water over your hair and massage into the scalp. This will not only clean your hair and make shiny, but will prevent dandruff and lice.
- Baking Soda is a very inexpensive and effective way to get rid of your dandruff. First rinse your head with water, and then vigorously rub a handful of baking soda into your scalp. Rinse the baking soda out thoroughly. Repeat this each time you wash your hair, but only use baking soda, and no shampoo. At first this may dry out your hair, but in a few weeks your scalp will start producing its natural oils. This will leave your hair softer and free from dandruff.
- Coconut oil is another great home remedy to cure coconut oil. Just simply massage this into your scalp a couple times a week. Leave on for at least 10 minutes before washing hair. Alternatively you can leave it in overnight by sleeping with a towel wrapped around your head.
- Jojoba oil is excellent at getting rid of dandruff. Jojoba oil will actually dissolve the excess oil on your scalp while conditioning it at the same time. You can use jojoba oil the same way you use the coconut oil listed above.
The information given in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.
More by this Author
Having strong bones and teeth are important to your health especially as you age. Bones are known to get brittle as we age due to loss of calcium. In addition to having strong bones it is important that your joints...
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most useful products for treating a variety of ailments. It is not only a wonderful remedy, but will also replenish you with a lot of the vitamins and minerals missing from our diets...
Bloating, irritability, cramps, mood swings, acne, heavy bleeding...does this sound familiar? Many women have PMS and think that it is just a part of being a woman. I personally found it very frustrating and wanted...