jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Just what the Doctor orderd--Maggots!

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Maggots speed up cleaning of stubborn wounds
    By Frederik Joelving | Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Maggots may trump scalpels when it comes to cleaning large wounds that won't heal easily, such as those seen in diabetics, according to French researchers.

To allow such wounds to heal, doctors usually remove infected or dead tissue with scalpels or enzymes, a process they call debridement. But that method is time-consuming and doesn't always work.
    http://news.yahoo.com/maggots-speed-cle … 00294.html
    well is anyone willing to try this for stubborn wounds?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would use them if I had a difficult wound and the doctor recommended it. I understand that they also work well for cleaning dead tissue from extensive burn wounds without the pain usually associated with debridement and without taking any live skin. They don't eat live tissue. On the negative side of this, aside from having the creeps about insects eating my flesh, I think it would be extremely weird to feel them wriggling in a wound. They don't just lie there placidly. So when I said yes, I would expect some drugs, too. Probably a lot of drugs.

2. cloverleaffarm profile image79
      cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It does sound gross, and I admit it made me a little queasy at first, but they do work wonders.
      While it has been slow coming to the US., Maggots have been used for years in other countries. I have not used them myself, but have seen them work, and it is truly amazing. They eat only the dying flesh, which leaves the healthy flesh to heal. I have seen this work on diabetics with feet ulcers.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Actually, I've been using them for the last 3 weeks since I injured my hand. There was this dead cat in the road and I thought, "Why not?"

Also, once they are plump and full, you can deep fry them and they make excellent, protein-rich snack food.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I guess you'll be posting that new hub recipe with photos..wink

3. rbe0 profile image62
    rbe0posted 4 years ago

Anyone else hungry?

4. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'm sorry...    I'd just have to die (or let wounds go unhealed or something).    lol

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

This is an old story. I first read about it quite a few years ago.