Living an Independent Life
Living an independent life means living a life on your own terms. It means you live as and where you want. You make your own decisions, you pay your own bill. It also means you don't have to answer to anyone you don't want to answer to.
An independent person has their own view of things. They listen to the music they like, not just because it's popular. The watch the movies they like, and they read the books they like.
Steps to Becoming Independent
- Plan your day, week, year, life around you. Make up a list of what you want to do, what you want to accomplish.
- Take the good with the bad, accept the world as it is.
- Having your own style taste in fashion, music, movies, ideas.
- Pay your own bills. Don't spend money you don't have. If there is something you want that you can't afford, save for it.
- Accept that life is not always fair.
- Accept yourself, your opinions, your choices, your body and your personality.
- Take time to analyze things - don't make snap decisions.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses.
- Avoid letting others do for you things that you can do for yourself.
- Try going to a restaurant and eating alone. Or, go shopping by yourself.
- Get rid of bad influences
- Live alone, if you are able to financially.
- Find a job all on your own. If it doesn't pay enough to pay your bills, find a second job.
- Don’t gossip or talk about others.
- Take the good with the bad, accept the world as it is.
- Make your own mistakes and learn from them.
- Happiness is not determined by what's happening around you, but rather what’s happening inside you. Most people depend on others to gain happiness, but the truth is, it always comes from within. - Unknown
- Learn to live without expecting people to always have to be there for you, sometimes all you need is you, just have to believe in yourself. - Blaze Olamiday
- If you plant your own seeds in your garden you won't have to see what someone else is growing, because you will be to busy showing love to your own. - Tyrone Porter
- Don't rely on someone else for your happiness and self worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can't love and respect yourself - no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are - completely; the good and the bad - and make changes as YOU see fit - not because you think someone else wants you to be different. - Stacey Charter
- Avoid the crowd. Do your own thinking independently. Be the chess player, not the chess piece. - Ralph Charell
- You have all the answers inside you. The more you trust yourself, the easier your life will flow. - Anonymous
- But while I breathe Heaven's air, and Heaven looks down on me, And smiles at my best meanings, I remain Mistress of mine own self and mine own soul. - Lord Alfred Tennyson
- The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. - Albert Einstein
- There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” - Jane Austen
- The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” - Michel de Montaigne
- Believe in yourself, and trust your own wisdom rather than being swayed by the opinions of others. - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm ... As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others. - Audrey Hepburn
- Unlike a drop of water which loses its identity when it joins the ocean, man does not lose his being in the society in which he lives. Man's life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self. - B. R. Ambedkar
- You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence. - Abraham Lincoln
- Your child will be better prepared to tackle the bumps on the road of life if he has been given the gift of guided independence. - Jacquie McTaggart
- Those who really desire to attain an independence, have only set their minds upon it, and adopt the proper means, as they do in regard to any other object which they wish to accomplish, and the thing is easily done. - P.T. Barnum
- Independence - is loyalty to one's best self and principles, and this is often disloyalty to the general idols and fetishes. - Mark Twain
- I don't think of myself as a poor, deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good. - Oprah Winfrey
- I will not be "famous," "great." I will go on adventuring, changing, opening my mind and my eyes, refusing to be stamped and stereotyped. The thing is to free one's self: to let it find its dimensions, not be impeded. - Virginia Woolf
- I have an independent streak. You know, its kind of hard to tell an independent woman what to do. - Betty Ford
- A real woman makes her own decisions in life. She’s responsible, and doesn't follow but she leads. She’s always about accomplishing goals, and she never settles for anything less because she’s a woman, and nothing more. - Bryan Burden
- The independent girl is truly of quite modern origin, and usually is a most bewitching little piece of humanity. - Lou Henry Hoover
- Independent people look at what's worked, learn from what hasn't, set new priorities, and then move on. - Jeanne Sharbuno
- Be that strong girl that everyone knew would make it through the worst, be that fearless girl, the one who would dare to do anything, be that independent girl who didn't need a man; be that girl who never backed down. - Taylor Swift
- To find yourself, think for yourself. - Socrates
- The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. - Michel de Montaigne
- I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man. I've just done what I damn well wanted to, and I've made enough money to support myself, and ain't afraid of being alone. - Katharine Hepburn
Characteristics of an Independent Person
An independent person can look at something new and say to themselves, "I can do this".
- Problem Solver
They can look at a problem and begin work solving it.
They will be able to gain the confidence of strangers in a short time.
They will stand their ground concerning their beliefs.
They need to be realist to be able to think for themselves.
- How to help your children be financially independent...
Most people in my position are living paycheck by paycheck. But when I think about it, people who make much more than I do are living the same way. I have never had debt, I've bought most everything on my own since I left home, and I have been able t
- Helping Elderly Relatives Stay Independent
As we age, we encounter physical difficulties. Here is a brief guide to various ways to help yourself or aging relatives to cope and remain independent.
- The History of the Independent Living Movement
The independent living movement will affect more people than any other civil rights initiative in history. However, it's only because of all those other folks working for respect and freedom that people with disabilities have a chance at it.
- How To Become A Stronger And More Independent Woman,...
How To Become A Stronger And More Independent Woman, 10 Tips To Think About- being independent does not mean only financial independence, but emotional and physical independence as well. It's about making decisions and implementing them in all areas
More by this Author
Baby showers are fun and full of promise. A special gift at this time is especially appreciated.
The Supreme Court of the U.S. met for the first time on February 1, 1790. Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. Super Bowl XLIV will be held February 6th at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. On...
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.