jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How long should a book of poetry be?

1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image84
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 3 years ago

Inspired by Martin Kloess, I've decided to publish my first book.  I have hundreds of poems that I could use, but I have some questions on how long a good book of poems should be.  I welcome any advice from those who have published work out now.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

As a poetry reader I expect the poems to form a harmonious whole around some kind of theme.  And a single author collection tends to be 20-80 poems.  When I get home I could have a look in the books on my shelf to check that estimate.

PHILLYDREAMERposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree about the poetry fitting a certain theme.  I've written poetry on many different subjects, but there is one theme that is really calling out to me so I intend to write all new poetry around it.

3. Romeos Quill profile image68
    Romeos Quillposted 3 years ago

Hey PHILLYDREAMER! I've had nine poems published in nine paper books so far, by two different publishing houses, and on average, the page lengths approximate to between about 180 - 270 pages.
    I've never self-published via an e-book, or paperback, but I've heard that a book containing about 70 poetic pieces is about the standard.For electronic books, it might be an idea to check out a site like Amazon(other sites are available, by way of disclaimer), to check out their e-books, in order to gain a rough estimate, if you are deciding to pursue this avenue;hope this ride helps you out.
    All the best, and wishing you every success!
    Sincerely,
    Romeo's Quill

PHILLYDREAMERposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow that's a lot of pages.  As short as my poems tend to be, I might have to double that number.

working