Online Book Club

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

My friends recently started (in reality) their own little Book Club. We are reading 'The House of Seven Gables' by Hawthorne for our trip to Salem...and the House of Seven Gables.

Anyway, since I love reading and always need book suggestions, plus having no one to discuss them with (I miss class!!), why not make a book club here?

I always found critical analysis of books great for writing as it makes you consider themes, meanings as well as see different interpretations of others. It makes you value how others think and question why they see it that way.

We could all suggest books, pick one for a month to read, and than discuss here at the end of the month. :]

I'm in!

1. theageofcake profile image60
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Should we make a different forum topic for each book we discuss?

I was thinking, just as a convenient label, we can have each topic be "Online Book Club: (Insert Name of Book Here)."  That way people that may have missed our plans to discuss it can at least join the conversation if they see its a book that they're familiar with.  Maybe that way we can get more people involved?  Just a thought.

2. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

Good idea. when are you going to salem?

torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am going this month on the 23rd through the 25th!

1. pddm67 profile image60
        pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have a great time, I'm headin there this weekend. The best month to be goin. Happy Haunted Happenings!!!!

Thanks, you too!

3. torimari profile image69

yikes

1. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my computer crashed? some so did I...
      Are you going on a haunted house tour?
      I have a friend who got marreid in salem during haloween season...
      I hope you have fun and take pictures and write a hub......I wish I was going....

Yes, I am definitely going on a few tours like that ,eheh. That's a really cool date and place to have a marriage I must say.

smile Thanks. I do intend to write a hub on it!!

theageofcake: Haha, well, I need to make a list no doubt.
        I guess a book I've been wanting to reread is Dante's Inferno.

Or Hemingway's Old Man By the Sea is on my personal list as well.

I've been stuck in the habit of reading only classics (which is always great...they are classics for a reason), but I'd like some 'newer' fiction suggestions for the list too. sad

I guess if I can get this thread active I can compile a few books from everyone and we can layout what months to read them.

Do you have any in mind? smile

1. theageofcake profile image60

Its funny that you mention Dante's Inferno.  My brother, a high school senior, is reading that for one of his English courses.  I think that would be a great pick for a group discussion.

One method we could use in our search for newer fiction could be finding current or upcoming movie adaptations of books and reading the source material.  That's really general, but it could be a fairly easy and fun way of finding things we might not get into otherwise. 

Some examples:  Rabbit Hole, The Road, The Lovely Bones...

Oh, and the Hobbit!  Less contemporary but certainly relevant since the movie is in the early stages of production.

In the meantime, we definitely do need more people on board.

I've only read Dante's Inferno in Italian that's why it came to mine.

That's a great idea actually...I guess I'd assume they are good since they are being made into books.

I read the Hobbit a few years ago and as a fan of LOTR, it is awesome as well...kinda excited for the movie. I definitely reread it.

Come on folks...we join in with us! It's a two man band atm! :s

4. theageofcake profile image60
    theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

This sounds like a great idea.  I too have been seeking someone with whom to discuss the books I've been reading, and with a little bit of coordination, I think we could get some really intelligent conversation going on this site.

Did you have any specific books in mind?

5. torimari profile image69

:[

6. torimari profile image69

I'm going to read Leaves of Grass by Whitman...someone else read it so we can discuss it. :B

Cheeeersss~

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too read The Hobbit a good while ago. For some reason I liked it even better than LOTR.

I'm gonna read Leaves of Grass too. We could discuss it at the end of the month, if it's ok with you.

I'm in. smile

2. theageofcake profile image60

Ah!  I missed this message before.

I would like to join this discussion, especially since this collection features my favorite Walt Whitman poem, "Song of Myself." 

I can integrate whenever someone gets it going (i'm guessing that will be you, tori).  Anyway, can't wait.

7. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

Good Books I recently have read:

The Glass castle by Jennette Wallls
    And
    Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert

8. wannabwestern profile image95
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

I've read the glass castle too. That's a great memoir, especially if you contrast it with Angela's Ashes or 'Tis.

9. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

torimari, you wrote: I always found critical analysis of books great for writing as it makes you consider themes, meanings as well as see different interpretations of others. It makes you value how others think and question why they see it that way.

-----------
    I doubt I'll participate but I'd love to follow this thread. My son (15) is always annoyed because he doesn't understand how others think at all, hates to read anything but Tolkien and sees no point to analyzing a book. He's in a literature class this year and has grudgingly admitted it may be helping him understand some things he didn't before - he's a linear, literal thinker, much prefers numbers and calculations.

All this rambling to say that your stated reasons for this club sound very helpful and interesting.

10. believeinhim profile image59
    believeinhimposted 14 years ago

Hi, good idea. I love good books.

I just wrote two hubs on some relevant, reading!

These books are so interesting, and helpful.

Check it out, I'd love to know what you think on the titles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)