jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

I just signed up on "A Good Read" for their Kindle Book Course!

1. Don Bobbitt profile image92
    Don Bobbittposted 5 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5760721.jpg
    I am just tired of reading about all of the options.
    I have a Book that I am at the half-way point in finishing it. I decided to publish it as an eBook, for the learning experience.
    I tried in the past to convert my text to something with a certain degree of "elegant formatting". After a lot of research, 
    I have just taken the plunge and sighed up with this lady for her tutorials and tools. For better or worse. I will understand and be able to do this within a month or so, when my Book is ready.

1. couturepopcafe profile image62
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sign into Smashwords and read the free tutorial (only 88 pgs.)  Format your book as you read it or you'll have to go back and read it again.  You can then publish with Smashwords who distributes to all the majors: Kindle, Nook, Sony, ipad, Kobo, Adobe Digital Editions, all of them.  But you need to format it correctly or it won't pass their autovetter.  They make it super super easy to do the formatting in any program you have, Word old and new, etc.

Does the Kindle course allow you to publish to all the various products out there or just Kindle?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image92
        Don Bobbittposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info on Smashwords.
        The company A Good Read is a separate company from the Amazon/Kindle conglomerate, and the owner/manager is a lady who has a lot of experience with all of the formats for readers, including Kindle, Nook, etc. as well as html custom coding and the other popular formats.
        Like I said, I just gave up and spent money for the step-by-step tutorials for the Kindle format so I can write my book in peace and then customize it for the best look.
        I can write in html, but I just hate it! And, a book, like a novel, is actually easy to format. I also have a cookbook and a Food Dictionary, and formatting for one of these is a monster task, if you want it to look clean and professional.
        Anyway, I will check out Smashwords and see if it is a better path for me.
        Thanks.

I can imagine that anything with pictures and lists like the cookbook and dictionary would be a monster.  What a great idea though, the dictionary.  Getting that together had to take a few years!

2. Don Bobbitt profile image92

Yes, it has. I actually started decades ago, as I walked through supermarkets wherever I lived at the time and picked up those little pieces of advertisements and recipes and food cards that so many companies have lying around. In the hopes, of course, that you will buy their related product.
    I wanted to learn more about cooking, and I would read these and then I would just throw them into shoe-boxes.
    My collection got so large that I finally decided to type the actual facts into a WORD document, in alphabetical order, just so I would stop spending so much time searching for specific information.
    Then, one day,I realized that I actually had a book! A FoodBook!, So, I published it, and I have it on Amazon. Strange way to get there huh?

Stranger things have happened and good on you.  I'm going to look it up!  Is is called A Food Book?

3. Don Bobbitt profile image92

Yes, that's the name! Just search Donald Bobbitt on Amazon and you will see it and my other two books listed.

working