jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Investing - Like Poker?

1. 61
    investor101posted 5 years ago

Hey all,
    I recently read a couple articles on SIG, a successful investment group and found out their investing strategy is based on poker?! Well obviously it makes sense, but to what extent can you invest simply based on how much other traders are investing without any outside information. Maybe its only for the big time traders and market makers out there.

Post your thoughts, I'm interested to see what you guys think, and maybe bring something to my attention that I hadn't realized.

Either way, I think I'm going to start playing poker.

Happy Trading

2. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

Sounds like some interesting stuff. Do you have any links to the articles you read?

3. Ben Evans profile image74
    Ben Evansposted 5 years ago

Investing really cant be compared to poker playing in the truest sense.

Maybe it could be euphemism for Playing against the shill market makers.  You wont win playing against the big money. 

A person needs to know about the market and how it responds to events.  Stay away from day trading and momentum trading. 

The one idiom of poker is that the one with the most money wins and outlasts the other.

Thousands should not be played against billions.

4. Wayne Orvisburg profile image82
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 5 years ago

They are probably saying that if there is a large volume of shares moving, it is for a reason. They also most likely do not intend to hold on to them very long. Probably day traders and they are probably buying lots of shares and selling them almost immediately for a very small return on each share.