Liberal and Conservatives Views- it really is all in our heads

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7356234_f248.jpg
    The current election results have once again brought to the forefront how Liberal and Conservative think differently and it seems it really is all in our heads.

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.

The results are not that surprising as they fit in with conclusions from other studies. Just a year ago, researchers from Harvard and UCLA San Diego reported finding a "liberal" gene. This gene had a tiny effect, however, and worked only for adolescents having many friends. The results also mesh with psychological studies on conflict monitoring.

I found this interesting since some of my friends on the conservatives side express fears about the United States Ending or changing to some Deep Dark Communist Hell and we often explain their views away with the word "Fear". 

Read More: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the … tudy-finds

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the … tudy-finds

Anybody else find this topic interesting? If we are wired differently how do we meet on common ground?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We don't. Fear is a powerful motivator.

For a long time, evolutionary development favored the fearful, but that is changing as we develop as a society and there are less threats. This is why religion and conservative politics are on the wane.

It is interesting, I must admit - especially when the most conservative ones tend to be fearful of a "New World Order." But - just think - if we all get on the same side and break down the national boundaries - there will be no external threats.

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you think it impossible that there may be an internal threat in a New World Order?

2. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am all for breaking down the national boundaries. I would really love it if my grandchildren inherited a peaceful earth and only knew of war from History books.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What happens if that lovely huggy cupcakey peace-on-earth one world government turns into a tyranny?

At least with nation states, you have the chance of escaping to another country.

1. profile image0

Well lets hope science can come up with a cure for fear reaction in our brains and then it won't happen will it?  Ever wonder what would if we divided the plant into left and right?

So you're saying that 'fear' is the cause of all tyranny?

3. kartika damon profile image68
        kartika damonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the research is nailing it - this last Presidential race was insane with the tactics of Romney playing into and drumming up fear among his base - fear of the poor and middle classes threatening to somehow stop big business in its tracks and crash the economy even further with their demands of a level playing field - they played to the right's fear that women want to control their bodies and they got their base hooked into side issues  - they thought if they catered to the fears of the while male vote (over 40), they could scare people into voting for their reactionary agendas that reward corporations for ripping off the people and the county - outsourcing, low paying jobs, environmental rape, anti science, control of women's reproductive rights, and on and on - well it didn't fly - the new majority, a coalition of women, students, ethnic groups, and educated people in general voted. Romney and his followers were so shocked, they didn't even have a concession speech prepared -  too many people are onto the sleazy campaign tactics, the lies, they anti woman, and racist agenda of their Christian fundamentalist base.

2. Al Bacon profile image60
      Al Baconposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting but I hate when we put too rigid a name on something because often it may depend upon circumstances.  If we talk about foreign trade, for example, we might be liberal as far as wanting to sell our products to another nation but conservative when it comes to letting them sell to us.  I think our position as liberal or conservative may have to do with how we are presented with information we use to pick our position and how accurate or truthful that information is..

1. profile image0

I agree! But I think our life influences also have a bearing on how we process the information we receive so it would be interesting to learn how or if our brain adapts. Also how come people raised with the same family and influences may process the identical information in different ways.

2. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I have heard about this before...Fascinating and I am going to read more. Thanks for bringing this up.

1. profile image0

Your Welcome. I also would love to read more on this research.

3. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

The spin on this is absurd.

One could spin this the other way and argue that liberals have an incapacity to recognise danger when they see it, and have an absolutely appropriate feeling of fear. But really, I don't buy it.

Are you really trying to prove scientifically that leftism is correct? Don't be asinine.

1. profile image0

I am not spinning anything!

I don't think the research is about the left being correct nor do I read it that way, just that we do think differently and that fear plays a part in that thinking. Nobody said anything about the left being fearless.

I fear war, and I am sure my upbringing as an Army brat and life as an army wife has influenced that fear, because I relate it to the possibility of losing people I love, for a time or forever.

I also realize fear to some extent is part of our survival mechanism and important.  I would just love to learn more, especially about what influences "the things" we fear.

1. Al Bacon profile image60

Well put, Justsilvie, because I think there could be an entire study about influences and the things we fear.  For example, the thought occurs to me that people went into showers in the concentration camps because they knew them to be showers thus lacking the fear they would have had if they had known the nature of those showers.  a more current example was the use of PCB at one time in this country before its dangers were known and now the use of genetically modified foods because the fear we need to feel, justified or not, is what can protect us in the long run should that fear be shown to be justified eventually.  Not fearing PCB's caused thousands of deaths then and now we need to fear GMO foods for the same reason until someone can show that we have nothing to fear.  There are those who understand those fears and use them for their benefit - selling deodorant to prevent a fear of offending others, for example, and we need to understand that whole process better.

2. innersmiff profile image65

"I found this interesting since some of my friends on the conservatives side express fears about the United States Ending or changing to some Deep Dark Communist Hell and we often explain their views away with the word "Fear". "
        - Just to clarify, do you think it's justified to "explain their views away with the word "Fear"" or are you trying to be balanced?

1. profile image0

I don't think it is as simple as the question makes it sound.
          A higher reaction to fear of course would explain a lot, but how they got to the conclusion to induce that fear and why the same fears are not shared by everyone is the question that would interest me regarding this research.

Not everything is political or taking sides and since my family and friends are on both sides of the spectrum and I pretty much run to the center I would just love to learn more.

Then I apologise, I misread your comments.

4. KT Banks profile image61
    KT Banksposted 11 years ago

I've never heard of this, but it does seem to make some sense - and it is very interesting. Thanks for sharing this. I wonder what mine would say, since I'm really in the middle with politics?

I'm sorry some people will find any reason to be an ass, and try to find a way to attack you for expressing your thoughts, or something they don't really understand. If you say the sky is blue, they'd say you were wrong and try to find a way to make you look stupid.

You're sorry that people disagree, you mean?

1. KT Banks profile image61
        KT Banksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, not a t all. Just for when they're rude about it.

2. profile image0

I am pretty much in the middle with you even though the last election threw more to the left. smile   I am glad you find it interesting also KT.

1. Al Bacon profile image60

It just occurred to me that if liberals have one part of the brain larger than others and conservatives have the same with a different part, perhaps those in the middle are the ones with the largest brains and are the most capable of wisdom overall.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, those who are not exclusively liberal or exclusively conservative which basically describes most people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)