Why is war an atypical choice for resolving differences?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The human race seems destined to use war as a means for solving differences between cultural, religious and commerce issues rather than negotiating compromises to avert it.

Politicians and leaders around the world show a resolve to draw lines in the sand (as it were) and promote hostility to forward their agendas.  Could we seek a resolve first to eliminate war as the option and put our minds to work to peacefully find a solution? Or are we a species doomed to self destruct because of our aggresive predisposition?

2. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

How could we justify our Military Spending then?

Wars generally cloak the greater objective, which throughout history has tended to be the further growth of territory, and/or religion.

3. rhamson profile image72

I agree with you and as a matter of fact I can't think of one war that was not started for monetary gain.  Maybe someone will know otherwise.

Wouldn't it be great if the next time we find ourselves set up to enter another war we just said no?  Find another solution and don't bother us again until you do.

The bravada and chest thumping alongside the patriotic vitriol is getting too much play and to speak up against this behavior brands you traitorous and weak.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am not for war but no matter what I will always support our troops!

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Even when they start shooting your friends and relatives?

6. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

No one likes wars, but one has to be prepared for wars. Your intentions might be good, but you can't take potential enemies for granted and get lulled into complacency!!

7. Dark knight rides profile image61
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

What it someone declared a war, and no one showed up?

Of course that'll never happen, there will always be someone who's looking for a fight, and there will always be someone to give it to them. America thought they were fighting for noble principles in Vietnam, and look how that worked out. Korea too, for that matter. The American Revolution was fought for more than money, though of course that had its part to play. Who was it that said "war is just diplomacy by other means"?

And your right about military spending, but while we can be cynical about that, most of the major inventions of the 20th century have come directly from military R&D. TV, the internet, Jeeps, all that came from the military's need to innovate.

We, humans that is, are not really a peaceful species, then again no carnivore is. We have learned over centuries to solve our problems with violence. But I feel, with no research to support this, that it has come from an inability to communicate. Language barriers and gaps in communication, I think, leads to misunderstanding that culminates in fighting. I hope that's the case because it means that the better we get at communicating, especially cross-culturally, which we improve on everyday, the less we have to fight to get our point across.

8. rhamson profile image72

So I guess an apathetic attitude towards finding a solution is the answer to this question.  I don't know who said it but "by refusing to make a choice therein lies the answer".

I understand that we seem to gravitate towards the darker side of our nature albeit through life experiences, loss of innocence or more prurient endeavors but are we not to evolve beyond our lesser traits?

True that great strides have been made in medicine and technology due to wars but can't that be said if the space program as well?

It would take a ground swell of support from all over the world and a commitment to see that it is carried out.

I would think that due to it's obvious effect towards self preservation our intellect would require this to be a top priority.  But then again why does a diabetic eat that candy bar?

9. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I always HOPE that we'd find a means to an end with any situation without war or violence.

We have brains for a reason, and humanity CLAIMS to be so superior. To many, it's an insult to even classify us as animals.

Yet, I think we are more bestial.

It really annoys me to see our gift of brain matter go to waste.tongue It is so easily twisted or we find excuses to act out on desires, and emotions.
    I always like to think before I act but that almost sees taboo.

To even just minimize violence, I think a lot of people need to start THINKING...and thinking for themselves. Questioning morals, opinions, etc., and drawing personal conclusions instead of following a pack. Yet, for most it's just easier to follow what is comfortable...or their nature. Less work.

War will always be around to some degree and violence is an indelible mark on humanity. Superior species indeed...

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, it's not a total waste mind you. Many species feed on our brains after we croak. Some even feed on a live brain. Nature does not waste anything. smile

1. torimari profile image66
        torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, not arguing there. But, it's annoying that nature would model us such an intricate mechanism so it's sad when a parasite gets more use out of it than its intended owner. big_smile

1. Misha profile image64
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He-he, I am not that sure. I don't pretend to know nature's ways, and we as well might have been created as a food for scavengers. Which might explain our propensity to self-destruction. smile

1. torimari profile image66
            torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahah, well, I like to believe that our purpose is beyond worm-food and killing each other whilst we live. Ew. But hey, what do I know? Everything, as I am a human.

10. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

In our drive to distance ourselves from other animals, Human beings forget that we are by nature a predatory species.However unlike most other species we have turned that instinct inward towards ourselves. It would be nice to imagine a world without war but I personally believe that it's a fantasy. I have often preached tolerance and patience in this forum but I know better then many that there are things which must be done regardless. There are those who seek only to watch the world burn, and to do nothing only adds you to the list of casualties. All war whether supposedly about faith, or protection is ultimately about one thing and that is spreading power. Bin Laden wants more power, as do we in America, and those in other nations.

Until such time as mankind is presented with an external threat that forces us to come together in the name of mutual survival then we will still war with ourselves. As long as there are people there will be war. The only thing that will change will be those we war against.The true sadness being that in order to combat real evil even good people must engage in evil things. So then who wins in the end?

11. rhamson profile image72

I wonder if the general population knows of the devastating effect war has on the families of those killed.  I really think it has a lot to do with the goverment censorship of the dead returning to the US.  Granted, now the press is allowed to show some of this but I would think thatmuch more of it should be shown to us all.

Giving me a number of injured or killed in action doesn't quite have the impact of showing the casket coming off the airplane in Dover. The families voices telling us what it is like and what they have lost is a rare interview we get to see.  I guess if you don't see the devastation you don't even have to get numb to it.

12. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

True dat, Rhamson. Even better would be to show graphic documentary from the battlefields, much more impact I think.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

The governments cannot bring peace to the people, so the people must bring peace to their governments.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ralwus  I agree completely.  I find it very progressive to at least have the privilege of being heard in this medium and finding even though we all come from so many different backgrounds and beliefs we can find some common ground.

What we are doing now by talking to each other is what our government fears the most.

14. rhamson profile image72

You know what you hear more from our politicians is the expense and how they can get more funding to escalate the war.  What a screwed up backward way of looking at the cost.

Whoops! I had better reiterate that I do support our troops before I get flamed for some anti-military sentiment.  You know some people can't distinguish between supporting the troops (monetarily) with I really support the effort of getting them home to save their lives.

Oh yea! I forgot to mention that I support my country despite not condoning these wars.  I hope that quells any misunderstandings.

1. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is possible to support our troops, yet be opposed to the governments use of our troops.  I, for example, believe that our military should only be used to protect the territorial integrity of the US.  Any other use of our troops is a bad idea.  It gets us involved in the world as it's policeman, and the rest of the world tends to resent that.

War is diplomacy by other means.  Nation states engage in diplomacy and only they can fight wars.  Hobble nation states and you hobble their war making capability.

15. David Bowman profile image59
    David Bowmanposted 14 years ago

Let us not forget the innocent civilians who often suffer the the most during wars. Anywhere from 100,000 to 1,000,000 civilians have died during the conflict in Iraq. It has also been reported that there are 5 million orphans as a result of the war - nearly half of the country's children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)