jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Message from Medicare

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

As part of our Christmas celebration, I visited my brother and his wife today. She's an administrator in a nearby hospital, and I asked her about the new health care bill. She said as soon as it was passed by the senate, she and the other administrators got emails from Medicare alerting them that four drugs that were previously covered will no longer be covered by Medicare. Three of the drugs are very expensive. I can't remember the names of them, but one started with a Z (zofran?). Two of the drugs are used with chemotherapy. So this means that people on Medicare who need these drugs might not be able to afford them any longer because of proposed cuts in Medicare funding. Gee, couldn't they at least wait until the cuts are made? Is it a "done deal" that huge cuts will be made in Medicare?? This concerns me personally because I'm on Medicare!

I'm not trying to start a heated debate - I honestly want some input from someone who's really been keeping up with the legislation and knows about the Medicare question. Thanks!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

I don't have any inside info, but the story doesn't stand up to a common sense review.

Currently, there is no new health insurance reform bill in effect.  Each house of congress has passed it's own version which must be reconciled and approved.  There could in fact have been a change in Medicare policy, but it would not be as the result of a law that does not yet exist.

1. The Rope profile image62
      The Ropeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is my understanding as well.  There is still a lot of wrangling left to be done and given the "pork" that has been included in both bills, the bill has a long way to go before passage actually happens.

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Ron, that's what I was wondering. Maybe Medicare is using it as an excuse to save money?

4. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I agree, Rope. Medicare has lousey timing - or either they anticipate the bill to pass and they're expecting big cuts, so they're going ahead with a proactive response. I hope this isn't the case.