This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)

I told another hubber, I am on Medicaid and would probably die without it

1. Michele Travis profile image70
    Michele Travisposted 4 years ago

I told another hubber, I am on Medicaid and would probably die without it

I have epilepsy, and it is a very bad case of epilepsy I stop breathing during and after seizures.  Have had help to breath a few times.  The other hubber is against medicare/medicaid.  I told him I am on Medicaid and would probably die without it, He still said I did not deserve it, because he had to pay taxes.  Is he right or wrong?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

It doesn't sound like it's any of the other Hubber's damn business either way. Tell him or her to go scratch.

Michele Travisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much!  He was the only hubber who ever bothered me.  No hubber has ever even insulted me.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure which category you fit into, but here's how I break it down:

1. Everyone who has ever worked in this country has paid into Medicare so ALL of those people deserve to be able to be covered whether they're still working or not.

2. People who have never worked and paid into the system, but have serious medical conditions should be able to be covered if that medical condition is the reason they can't work.

3. The people who "play the system" and have doctors or lawyers write up something saying they can't work just so they can sit at home and collect welfare, food stamps, etc should NOT be able to be covered because they're working around the system. They need to be kicked off ALL assistance.

I know that last sounds cruel, but those are the people that are increasing the tax burden on everyone else and causing insurance rates to skyrocket and also keeping the rest of the people from being able to get Medicare when they really need it.

I worked as a nurse for 15 years until my epilepsy had gotten so bad, I could no longer be employed.  The person how had hired me, told me I could go on disability or be fired.

4. sarahmoose profile image77
    sarahmooseposted 4 years ago

I agree its none of their business, and they have no right to comment. If it was them with the health problem, they would soon change their mind!! If you have a health problem that is affecting your ability to work, then you should be entitled.

Like I told Sheila, I had worked as a nurse for 15 years,  Have also had 2 brain surgeries, and still need to take a lot of medication.  Without medicaid, which pays for the medication, I would probably die.  I even told him that.

2. sarahmoose profile image77
      sarahmooseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Then he is obviously just another person who thinks he has the right to decide what everyone else can and can't do. What a moron. Plenty of those here in the UK too - I just ignore them!! Just keep looking after yourself xx

5. Ericdierker profile image55
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Honey Child, let me just be a preacher for a moment. I love you. I am so happy that God built a country that provides for my brothers and sisters in need. He takes what He needs from me and gives it to you. Amen and Amen and Amen.
    I reckon I do not deserve what I have. But I deserve to give my money to Caesar. And Caesar damn well better give it to you who need.
    I got nothin. I try to help folk but I am just a little fish in a big pond, but together with my other fishies we can maybe help my friends like you.
    Now take that knowing I am a hard core conservative who hates welfare. But Honey Child ain't nothin in this big old world that makes me feel better than to know you be alright.

Now what I need you to do is listen here cuz it will make you smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8

Thank  you Eric,   I loved that video.  I will get over this.  Just takes a little time.

6. Faith Reaper profile image85
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Oh, God bless you dearest Michele, that is so wrong on so many levels!!!  I worked since a very young age and so has my other three siblings,my dad and my mother, and when my mother had gotten so very ill and her care costs over $5000 a month, we were blessed to know that Medicare/Medicaid paid for it, and we all paid into it our whole lives, but regardless, that is what Medicare/Medicaid is there for to begin with ... to take care of precious and dear people who need the care ... just as my mother, who would have died.  She did die last Christmas, but she was 84 and was strong her whole life up until the last five or so years of her life.  Praying for you sweetie.  Hugs, Faith Reaper

Thank you Faith Reaper,
      You know how I feel about you:)
      God bless you

7. johnsonrallen profile image92
    johnsonrallenposted 4 years ago

Wow.. unfortunately, some humans are incredibly cruel. Helping others in need and charity are traits most decent people possess. Yes, there are those who take advantage of the system. It happens. I'm sure this hubber would cry murder if the government took his basic rights of gun ownership- after all, there are those who take advantage of that system as well.

johnsonrallen,  lol  I think this hubber would cry murder is the government tried to take away his guns.

8. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

I could see complaining about medicaid/medicare if they were considered to be ineffective or inefficient programs, but they aren't, so this person's criticism amounts to them not liking these programs. While we can certainly criticize poor programs, the idea that we should cancel out programs simply due to distaste or random whims would lead to ridiculous results.

Should I deny your criticizer the right to medical care from a hospital that receives public monies, how about communication infrastructure built with public dollars, public schools for their kids, roads, or perhaps if their house is burning down due to their own negligence we should call off the firetruck? After all why should I spend tax dollars to save his house from his own carelessness?

The only logical conclusion to such an absurd no-one-pays-taxes-for-anything-they-don't-agree-with mindset is a world without any public governance. Anyone who really wants to try that out should move to a deserted island with people of similar minds and see how well Lord of the Flies works out for them.

Otherwise, they should think a bit more about all of the public goods they use in their daily lives, be thankful for those who provided them, AND be equally thankful they can contribute to services for others such as yourself.

junkseller, Thank you for your comment.  It makes perfect sense to me.

9. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

It's none of his darn business. If you have a legitimate need that is who the program is designed for.  Don't let people demonize you and make you feel bad about it.  Medicaid is an excellent program designed to help the working poor, the disabled and those who can't afford private insurance, get the medical care you need.  I am betting prior to Obamacare, when you could be discriminated against for pre-existing conditions, you couldn't have received private insurance anyway.  No one would have likely taken you.

So long as there are corporations that plunder wealth, steal good jobs and send them overseas, get subsidies (ie corporate welfare) and dodge taxes no one should be complaining about a woman with a preexisting condition getting help from Medicaid. 

People who haven't walked a mile in your shoes don't know your story or any of the hardships you have endured. The fact of the matter is with Medicaid you SAVE the taxpayers money - why? because medicaid negotiates fairer prices with hospitals and doctors. If you just show up in the ER and don't pay - the taxpayers get to pay that bill too and it's much higher than your medicaid care.  Most people who complain know nothing about the system they are trashing.

ChristinS Thank you so much for your comment.  The saying about people walking in another's shoes is a wonderful one.  I wish more people would think about that

10. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Of course they are wrong. If he doesn't want to pay taxes, he can choose to not earn an income or leave this country. He could also become a CEO, an entertainer, or politician and dodge paying them as some of these types choose to do. I am not against contributing to government services that actually  aid those who are legitimately in need of those services. I am against providing these services to those who abuse them or simply should not receive them.
    It's clear that you need this service to maintain a reasonable quality of life and I'm offended that another human being would say that you don't deserve it. Medicaid is useful and used legitimately by many people all across this country and allows people the independence or quality of life that they could not have otherwise. It's obvious that person has not even attempted to put himself in your shoes or show some empathy. GOD help him if he finds he needs it someday. That hubber basically said that he wouldn't care if you died if you didn't have Medicaid. SHAME!

Thank you Express, I hate that people use it  who are healthy.They  should NEVER use this, they basically steal money from people who pay taxes, and people who truly need Medicare or Medicaid

11. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 4 years ago

He is a pig! I didn't know pigs paid taxes in America. Don't  let what these kind of people say bother you, and check out my blog about Indian politics and religion, I thought you'd be interested.

Just read you hub about India,  It is very good!  Please read my response.
      Thank you for commenting on this question.

12. Diana Lee profile image81
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

Who are they to say who deserves what?  Everyone has their own story and their own hang ups. It sounds like the person telling you this certainly is not a people person and has no idea what others go through. If you weren't entitled to the assistance they wouldn't give it to you. Some people do die because of no means to pay for medical help. I'm lucky my husband carries me on his health insurance at his job, because my job doesn't offer it.  Otherwise I wouldn't have coverage either.

Thank you Diana, I think everyone has their own story.  Maybe I could even write a hub about the people who die with out medical coverage.  Thank you for giving me the idea for a hub!

13. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

Yes they are wrong, wrong, wrong.  It seems like people don't read their paycheck stubs to see what they are paying and for what.  There is a commercial on TV that says that someone thinks that senior citizens don't deserve Social Security.  Well look on your paycheck stub and see that every single one who gets a check that SS is taken out of your check weather you wont it to or not.  Same goes with Medicare/caid.  It is automatically taken out of your check.
    EVERYONE deserves what they have paid to be given back to them form the Government.

Lady Guinevere, like I told someone else, I had been working for over 15 years as a nurse.  I would love to be cured and go back to work, but no cure has been found yet.  Maybe someday.

14. BuffaloGal1960 profile image72
    BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years ago

First of all, let me say I am sorry for your health situation. I'm sorry you are suffering through that.  May you have a Divine healing.

Now let me say, I have seen many things on social media sites discriminating against the less fortunate. I do agree that we should not be supporting lazy people with drug addictions and poor habits, I find many of the comments distasteful.

Someone posted a story from an "ER physician" supposedly. I found it very hate-stirring. Here's why:  It made out like everyone who was on Welfare was a fraudulent thief.  What they don't realize is, the people they are judging.....are not sometimes the recipient of the food stamps. Sometimes, it is a chore worker shopping for the recipient who is homebound.  So because someone is well dressed using food stamps doesn't mean they are the recipient.

I know someone who went to the grocery store that had food stamps and Medicaid and heard a comment about their "fancy car".  What they didn't know was it was a borrowed vehicle because they didn't have one.

That same person had a lovely piece of jewelry that most would covet. What the  judging person didn't know was I was with that person when they paid a quarter for it at a yard sale.

Definitely we need improvement on many government systems. There is no denying that.  But sometimes when we see things, we jump to the wrong conclusions. 

The truth is, there are people who abuse the system but not everyone who appears to does.   I just thought I would throw that in.

In your case, it's not about abuse.  But people do get a little feverish because of the abusers. It is upsetting when people abuse the system and it makes those who really need it feel bad for getting it.  Since you are one who needs it, I just wouldn't worry about what others think.  It's not about you.  They are just angry because of the ones that abuse the system or the ones that are judged wrongly that are THOUGHT to be abusing it.

BuffaloGal1960  The problem does get worse when people abuse the system, and there are people who do.  That is horrible because they take away what is needed, from people who really need the help.
      Thank you so much for your comment.

15. Sparklea profile image73
    Sparkleaposted 4 years ago

Oh, Michelle, I am so sorry you have been hurt this way.
    Knowing you through Hub Pages has been such a blessing!  You do not deserve this!  You are not only kind, honest, and full of heart, you are an excellent writer.  Your hubs have been so very informative and I, for one, feel like I have gained so much knowledge from all you have shared.

Of course this individual is not only wrong, but cruel to say those words to you!  The hard worker you are, who has never milked the system, SO DESERVE this medical care, and, as you state, you would be at risk of dying without Medicaid!

All of us pay into medical care in one way or another, and, when we become ill, it is up to our medical insurance to pay their part.  End of story!

God bless you, stay strong, and please know you have been on my prayer list a long time, and I pray for you every single day.  Blessings, Sparklea wink

Thank you Sparlklea, 
      I am so happy to have friends like you!
      God bless you

16. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

He's wrong.  My husband and I aren't on it because we make too much money.  However, my daughter is because she is Autistic.  The medicaid is her secondary insurance.  Whatever, my insurance doesn't cover, the medicaid will.  Plus we are on Tri-Care.  That hubber will probably say we don't deserve it, but my husband got that as part of hiis retirement of after serving almost 30 years in the Army.

You are a wonderful mother. My daughter also has Autism, she will be 18 next month and is in a school to work program.  She is doing very well.  Even though it does cost tax payers some money

17. xanzacow profile image73
    xanzacowposted 4 years ago

Medicaid exists for a reason. It is supported by taxpayers like myself, and benefits those who are unable to work, or even drive for that matter, like yourself. I am happy to know that my tax dollars are helping you cope with your debilitation. Who ever made that pompass-ass remark......Well they may need Medicaid someday as well, God forbid, and karma kicks butt! He / she will reap the harsh words they have sewn. Hang in there, be well, my friend. smile

Thank you for comment.  Being on medicaid for a reason, that means  lot to me

Closed to reply

working