Congress Won't Outlaw Insider Trading For Itself

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

Posted May 05, 2010 by Peter Gorenstein in Yahoo Finance.

"Even a cynic can find Washington's hypocrisy shocking at times. The Wall Street Journal reports today a House bill that would force lawmakers to make greater disclosures on financial transactions and disallow them from trading on nonpublic information is going nowhere fast.

That's right. Members of Congress are currently allowed to profit on insider trading!

The bill, which has been languishing in the House for four years, would require elected officials "to make their financial transactions public within 90 days of a purchase or sale" and "prohibit lawmakers from trading in financial markets based on nonpublic information they learn on the job," the WSJ reports.

It seems they're above the transparency they've been calling for on Wall Street.

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/co … 78701.html

This comes a day after the same newspaper reported several lawmakers profited by betting against the housing and stock market in 2008.  And some did it using derivatives they've recently been railing against."

Ques. -- Do you think that any sitting US congressperson deserves to be re-elected?

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What!  The "slime on the hill" profited from their unique position? 

"I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty."
      Thomas Jefferson

We need to take the money out of their hands.  Soon you would find them fleeing Congress like a rat abandons a sinking ship.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

This needs more attention. I think members of Congress should have to disclose all of their trading, because they are in privileged positions that give them access to all sorts of information that they could profit from. When they get rich by trading on that inside information, they are ripping off your average investor, which is why it's a crime when anyone else does it. Thank you for posting this.

"It's good to be King"

Mel Brooks as "Pissboy" filling in as King Louie of France in "The History of the World"

1. profile image0
        Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we're onto something ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

3. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

Rhamson & DB -

Yup - fine bunch we've got. Hopefully, in Nov. we'll start tossing some out.

Also, I have a feeling we may not have heard the last of this.

The funny thing is that we have elected and re-elected these "Slimebags" time and time again.  What is it in the American paradigm that compells us to act this way?

We all know that money is at the root of the whole problem yet we continue to up the ante for them to raise as much money (legally or illegally) so they may remain in power to practice more of the same.  Public supported campaign financing is needed more now than ever.  With the money as a distraction they haven't a chance of governing objectively.

My father always said "We have the best government money can buy".

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

The bottom line is that Americans, on the whole, are not much different than their congressmen. You can blame them for the ills, but greed is pretty prevalent everywhere. Until we are individually ready to give up the greed that they have access to (if we were in their boots) then we will have to put up with it. If you were in their shoes, how tempting would it be to do what they are doing?

I have often said let congress have the same retirement and health plan benefits that the rest of America has and see how that fits. But until Americans get past their greed and entitlement issues, it's a symptom of society, and we all share the blame until we are all changed.

That's my two cents.

I agree with much of what you are saying but are we to have no change because we will not practice what we preach?

If the morals of the "Slimebag Congressman" is an extention of our own morality how can we ever expect change.  That wreaks of a radical solution on the scale of a revolution and installation of a benevolent dictator to effect any change.  Is there any sanity left to confront the problem and make the sacrifices neccessary to put us back on a healthy road?  I hate to think we are doomed to wallow in this slime pit with our congressional agendas.

2. profile image0

Politicians get re-elected by "bringing home the bacon" (read "pork").

Most people have a low opinion of other people's representatives, but if their own can get globs of gov't money for unneeded projects, he gets re-elected.

Being bribed with our own money is not only greedy, its ignorant.

My 2 cts.

It is funny you use the term ignorant.  Thomas Jefferson forsaw the fruits of congressional corruption so long ago.  Why are we so ignorant of it today?

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression."
        Thomas Jefferson

I hate to think of myself as a automaton but the reality of it is becoming clearer.

1. profile image0

It's almost spooky - reading Jefferson's words.

He and the other framers of our constitution made sure we had the necessary remedies available to deal with these dangers, but they couldn't insure that we'd be smart enough to know when we were being had...and smart enough to know what to do about it.

We owe it to every serviceman serving, every taxpayer laboring and to our descendants to become informed and vote. Never give blind loyalty to any candidate, philosophy or party. Make them earn your vote.

My thoughts, my rant.

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Do as I say not as I do.

Dodd took a Jumbo loan payoff from Countrywide... he's a criminal... and he's the guy authoring "financial reform".

6. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)