Newsflash: This waste of money won't end smoking!!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Recently, images are being added to cigarette packaging.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-100 … =page;next

It won't work.

Just thought I'd point out this complete waste of taxpayer money.

1. OutWest profile image56
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is the taxpayer even paying for this or is it the cigarette companies?

Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even if the companies pay for it - how much money did the FDA blow trying to get the labels put on / designing them?

1. OutWest profile image56
          OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know...how much?  Any?

2. Richard Sirota profile image61
        Richard Sirotaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Evan. If the tobacco companies paid for this the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

2. KyleBear profile image59
      KyleBearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It might work. Since the frequency of smoking is already going down steadily, who knows, it might give it an extra boost wink

3. deblipp profile image61
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is very similar to the packaging in Australia, so I imagine there are statistics on its effectiveness Down Under. I wonder what the results are?

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even if you put an image of a dead person bec of smoking  or one dying of cancer in the cigarette pack, it wont deter some to smoke, it is an addiction. The reason they are able to look at the image/photo is they are holding the cigarette pack already, LOL

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

You will never see the ad: War is addictive.

Ha!

I love that idea!

"Warning - war leads to death and hatred!"

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Smoking is dropping in most demographics (both percentage and frequency), so something is working.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I am a smoker, five a day for thirty years.
    I consider it a relaxant and health aid.

5. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's coming out of taxpayers pockets. But it will come out of smokers' wallets since I'm sure the cigarette companies will past the cost on to them.

Plus I don't think the new packaging will inspire smokers to quit. Parts of Asia has had these types of cigarette packages for ages and it has not changed the minds of smokers.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5182058_f248.jpg

The FDA did have to design and agree to put these on the packaging - the taxpayers DID pay for some of it.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Shucks yeah, that dirty ole government interfering with big businesses right to kill people!

By this point, everyone knows that cigs are bad for you.

And if they don't, it's because they can't.

But if you are addicted it is easy to "forget" a constant reminder does work.

got stats to back that claim up?

Better than that, experience, I smoke.

6. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

People do not care until it hits hard. My husband could not quit until he got really ill, and I mean it - seriously ill.

7. psycheskinner profile image83

Hardly a huge amount I suspect.  More like a bit of time from a person already on salary.

8. Hendrika profile image66
    Hendrikaposted 12 years ago

It does not matter what anyone does, if someone wants to smoke, they are going to smoke.

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

There is certain amount of stupidity in most of us, I cannot find a better world for that,that ability to ignore facts, to ignore danger, disaster in our life and just continue that   "I-am-going-to-do-it-because-I-like-it-and-do-not-give-a-damn attitude that allows even very smart people ruin their lives over stupid things like smoking,drinking and drugs.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I was thinking yesterday, they like people smoking because they are getting your tax money. Only marijuana is illegal, yet smoking is and our government is literally making money off of us killing us by legalizing smoking! lol I am a smoker, but so nice to know my government has my health in mind, when they illegalize other substances, but than the biggest addictions they make money off of is Alcohol, and tobacco. They like their money, and don't mind killing people in the process!

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

In the book Brandology this specific example (images as a deterrent on cigarettes) was studied. Their findings were that the images had no negative effect on buying impulse and in fact spurred the danger seeking/rebel impulse.

I lived in Buffalo for quite awhile, Canada has had these images for years, my canadian friends would order their cigarettes and the clerk would ask if they had a preference...

"you want the Players with the fetus or the lungs?'

11. psycheskinner profile image83

I think the whole point is that the total cost of smoking *should* be passed to the consumer rather than partially carried by the general taxpayer. That is why tobacco tax goes mainly into healthcare.

1. Moderndayslave profile image59
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

May I ask where the tax actually goes? In NYC the tax is about $8.00 a pack

12. psycheskinner profile image83

Despite the assertion made here, packaging does sometime effect what smokers know, and reduce population wide smoking rates. 

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/1 … ii19.short
    http://journals.lww.com/jphmp/Abstract/ … ng.11.aspx
    http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/1 … /i32.short

13. sunforged profile image70

Link1: Study is about awareness of health risks in relation to smoking and has no bearing on whether health risks illustrated effects buying.

Link2: Requires subscription - but from abstract" "Of those policies, substantial evidence indicates that higher taxes and clean air laws can have a large impact on smoking rates."

again, nothing about packaging.

Link3: Joe Camels influence on Youth smokers  (again, no correlation to negative buying influence)

Your links in no way support your statement - what were they the top 3 returns in a google search? Did you even read them?

14. sunforged profile image70

I dont think neuroscience is necessarily considered authoritative yet.

But, here is a link of interest in relation to the study I referenced
    http://www.neurosciencemarketing.com/bl … rnings.htm

15. psycheskinner profile image83

The abstract is a review paper covering dozena of studies some of which show decreases in population wide decreases and some don't--suggesting that how you do it is important.

And yes, I googled it, which is one step more than just making it up.  I couldn't be bothered digging out my lecture notes from industrial psychology which suggested cost is most effective, no smoking zones second and packaging third.

The other examples were to show that packing in general changes what people know about tobacco and it can make them smoke more (so why not less). 

Something is a waste of money of it doesn't work.  It is lazy to just assume this is true unquestioningly because you like to bitch about how stupid people are--quite the self-fulfilling prophecy.

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Perhaps a study about those who stopped smoking can be conducted. This is just my hypothesis : for those who stopped smoking, a big factor in the decision to stop is a real life close experience, like a death of a loved one from smoking related diseases.

As a sidenote, I read that this risk behavior is transferred, a youth who grow up in a home with a smoking adult will likely develop the habit, so a more solid campaign for a value transformation is needed, strengthening of family values, which is difficult.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)