Ellen DeGeneres Trivia, LGBT Celebrity Trvia
Ellen DeGeneres is quoted as saying, "I know I am going to be a great judge - because I have spent my whole life being judged."
Her life began in New Orleans, LA in 1958. Ellen Lee DeGeneres was born. Growing up her ambitions leaned towards becoming a veterinarian which did not evolve as expected. So she worked at vacuum sales, waitressing, legal secretary and even painting houses. None of these seemed to keep her interest until she started doing stand-up-comedy and acting; and we all know how this worked out for the Grammy winner Ellen DeGeneres.
Today, she hosts her own top rated talk show while serving as the newest judge on the phenom American Idol talent show that airs on the Fox network. Which brings us to the reason for this article. Gary McCullough, of Christian News-wire has been casting blame on Ellen for the lower ratings of American Idol. He says the reason for the drop is, and these are his words, because Ellen is a lesbian.
McCullough writes a blog in which he wrote, "I am confident that the producers of American Idol will be shocked when their market share has cratered, and will in all honesty find a dozen other reasons for the drop in ratings. After all, what successful television producer could have a clue what wholesomeness is as long as they see promoting homosexuality as virtue."
This guy takes things to the extreme and makes a really sick comparison to Roman Polanski and pro-pedophilia group NAMBLA becoming judges on Dancing with the stars. I don't know what McCullough is thinking, but this kind of rhetoric only causes unnecessary fear. Possibly his own fears are beginning to sneak forward and onto the blog page. Ellen has nothing to be worried about tho, if we take a look at her talk show ratings we see they are so high they are suspended for the lack of gravity. McCullough should take a look around and see the only one missing from the Ellen bleachers is him.
Tilly Mint, Ellen's nick name, became a gay icon when she exited the closet on her 1997 ABC sitcom (1994-1998) "These Friends of Mine" (later named "Ellen" after it's first season) making television history. The show was cancelled the following season due to declining rating. At this point Ellen returned to her roots and hopped back on to the stand-up comedy stage until 2001 when she starred in her own TV series "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on ABC. This suffered from poor ratings and was cancelled rather quickly in the same year.
It wasn't until 2003 that Ellen again hit TV pay-dirt. Her daytime talk show debuted and became a major success from a marketing standpoint as well as a popularity standpoint. Her ratings have been incredibly good proving her to be a super success as well as being rewarded with high praise from the industry biggies. The show boasted 15 Emmy Awards after only three seasons. Along with these credits came another history making TV first, being named the first Outstanding Talk Show within those first three seasons.
Along with her talk show success, Tilly Mint has become a favorite award show host and has hosted the Grammy Awards in '96 & '97. She also hosted the Prime time Emmy Awards in '01 & '05. While in '07 Ellen wore the crown of TV host royalty by being the host of the Oscars!
Ellen DeGeneres interviews John McCain on Gay Marriage Rights (2 min. 58 sec.)
From 1997 to 2000 Ellen DeGeneres was in an intimate relationship with actress Anne Heche (who was on the soap opera Another World). Heche encountered a very public breakdown during the couples break-up, followed up by a prompt marriage to cameraman Coley Laffoon.
In 2001 until 2004 Ellen was with the beautiful actress/director Alexandr Hedison. After their relationship breakup had been announced (oops!) they graced the cover of The Advocate (otherwise known as the Gay Bible). Ellen didn't stay single for long, as former Alley McBeal, and Arrested Development star Portia de Rossi came into her life that same year. A pink three-carat diamond ring was presented to de Rossi in May of 2008 on The Ellen DeGeneres Show . This was after the same-sex ban on marriage had been over turned. The two got hitched on August 16TH, 2008. Both of their mothers were present along with a small group of friends. Because they had been married prior to November 4Th, 2008 the marriage still stands regardless of the efforts of Prop-8 to dissolve all same-sex marriage rights. The two live happily together in Beverly Hills, California to this day with Ellens' estimated net worth around $65+ million.
Ellen and Portia on their wedding day
THE TOP 5 MOST INFLUENTIAL GAY AMERICANS
If Idol is experiencing a drop in ratings, it would seem the last reason for the fall would be Ellen's presence on the judging panel. The "left wing social activist" who cleverly says "lesbian one-liners" that grab huge laughs from the idol audience because "network television is on a pro-homosexuality bender", (all things McCullough writes in his blog - "Me thinks thou protests too much") is the main reason I have stuck it out with Idol this year. Without Paula's good natured sweetly intended antics and goofy ramblings the show had become somewhat flat leaning towards just plain mean. Something I simply want no part in. With Ellen on the panel I have found the show to offer a more laid back gentle mediation approach and becoming more friendly again. Besides she shows no fear when it comes to contending with Simon. When the New York Times writes that you have "...all but hijacked the show...," and that "there is a power shift playing out on stage" adding "she is the leading candidate for Oprah's throne" I would think you are having a very positive effect on ratings.
Out magazine recently listed the 50 most influentialAmericans. For the purposes of this article I have whittled it down to the top 5. The list might surprise you this year as Ms. DeGeneres and Mr. Frank have switched spots for the #1 ranked influential gay American. So, without further ado, here are your top five most influential gay Americans as depicted in Out magazine.
#5. Adam Lambert
- The prince of last years Idol ensemble . Lambert's pure professional, wildly entertaining performances have shot him to the number five position. Popping out of the closet amid the shows usually subdued alumni, Adam found himself an instant gay icon. His antics on ABC's Music Awards programming ("he kissed a boy and liked it") caused for the network prudes to rush in and declare his frank stage show unacceptable...but most of us just stood up and cheered him on! When all was said and done, Mr. Lambert held the top spot for best selling Rolling Stone cover of 2009 and the #5 position on our influential gay American list. Well done my boy!
#4. Rachel Maddow
- The Washington Post asked Ms Maddow whether she is biased regarding questions on gay issues like gays in the military. She strongly responded, "I can't do the show as a non-gay person. I don't have that opinion." Absolutely brilliant!She has topped CNN's Larry King in ratings but her ratings have declined some since the Obama campaign, yet she is still the strongest and most reasonable speaker on liberal issues. Openly out and anchoring her own show, Rachel takes on the tea party with vigor. This makes her place on the list as solid as is her gay pride.
#3. Anderson Cooper
- Anderson and his partner New York club owner Benjamin Maisani, have stopped rumors that they had planned to adopt a Haitian child. The rumor gained ground as Mr. Cooper steadfastly reported on the Haitian earthquake. His obvious emotional attachment to the disaster brought to the table the adoption issue. The sturdy demeanor usually shown by Cooper seemed to be missing during his Haitian reporting. Which may just prove what a great humanitarian Anderson is rather than a frazzled gay parent-to-be.
#2. Barney Frank
- As Chair of the House Financial Services Committee, Mr. Frank has always been , well, frank on any topic. He has been known to cross party lines speaking against the Health Care bill and other top partisan issues. Remaining fearless and holding the highest political office of any out-gay-politician he proves to be deserving of the title. With progressive thinking and social awareness Frank has been worthy of his past #1 spot on this list only to be dethroned by the queen herself, last years #2 on the list Ellen DeGeneres!
#1. Ellen DeGeneres
- 12-time Emmy winner, talk show guru, CoverGirl and Amex spokesperson, Ellen DeGeneres grabs the #1 spot on our list of the most influential gay Americans! Replacing Paula Abdul as an American Idol judge in February, Ellen now appears on two of the highest ranking shows on TV. Multi-millions of viewers watch her at every chance they get. Since Oprah decided to end her show at the end of 2011, it is unknown just how high Ms DeGeneres popularity can rise. Her social awareness pertaining to "don't ask, don't tell", and equal rights for gay marriage bring her to the four-front of these important issues. She also has a strong alliance with animal rights. Her wife (Portia de Rossi) and her live with two dogs and three cats and are both staunch vegans. Tilly Mint has proven time and time again just how worthy she is to grace the top of the list, and to be referred to by many gay/lesbian people as "our leader." We are all graced to have her on our team and playing in the #1 position!
- On hosting the Emmys after the 9/11 tragety (Nov. 4, 2001): "We're told to go on living our lives as usual, because to do otherwise is to let the terrorists win, and really, what would upset the Taliban more than a gay woman wearing a suit in front of a room full of Jews?"
- "What goes up must come down, which is why I don't wear tube tops."
- "Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
- "My Grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is."
YOUR VOTE COUNTS!
Should gay Americans have equal rights to legal marriage?See results without voting
Check out these great stories!
- Kiss Science; "Professional Kissing Techniques" Can Improve Your Intimate Love Life
Learn tricks and techniques to improve your kissing skills. Why Kissing makes the human body react so passionately. What makes humans desire to kiss, and what happens when our lips touch?
- DEATH OF A SAME SEX PARTNER - A True Lesbian Love Story
"It was a murderer conducting a home invasion!" That's what it felt like when Ovarian Cancer knocked on our door! It completed it's crime many times over with every phone call we made to let our family and...
- Grief Woman to Woman
A powerfully written real life love story of two lesbians in love and the tragic loss of that love. A lesbian couple copes with the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, and then how the one left behind grieves.
- Adam Lambert is Finally Crowned the Winner of American Idol
Adam Lambert had returned to the American Idol stage. And as the supernova that was American Idol begins to fade, a bright shining one at last has been crowned their greatest star.
More by this Author
There is an unfortunate connection between lesbian symbolism and the Nazi concentration camps. Why the lesbian community uses the black triangle as a symbol of recognition gets answered here. Also, find a number of...
A spirited article that answers those hard hitting questions about being a lesbian, from a lesbian perspective. This article helps you understand the questions you may have surrounding your female sexuality. Bold,...
Here's a list of the people foods that are most commonly deadly for dogs. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.