Do you believe in astrology? Do you think it's useful/useless????

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (77 posts)
  1. deecoleworld profile image73
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

Do you believe in astrology? Do you think it's useful/useless? Why or why not?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, because it's a ridiculous superstition.

deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Rad Man: but do you know what it is? can you give me a definition?

1. profile image0

Sure, I have a dictionary. Basically the study of movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs.

Superstitions.
          A widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.

See?

@Rad Man: that's the textbook/Google definition of astrology. From your definition, its like you are calling astrology and superstition the same thing. How can you understand or pass judgement on something you don't understand. I can understand if you don't care for it, but to pass it off as a superstition is just crazy. Astrology lead to the birth of astronomy, and was widely regarded as science ..... anyway  thank you for your response

@Aime F: Astrology isn't really vague though............ i can understand the zodiac signs part its really generalizing but astrology is more than sun (zodiac) signs...... thank you for your response so far

1. profile image0

Sorry, but astrology is nothing but superstition. The aligning of planets and stars has no effect on anything but what we see in the sky.

2. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Astrology lead to the birth of astronomy, and was widely regarded as science"

Up until the time the scientific method was devised and it was recognized that astrology does not follow any of the guidelines there and could not be called a science at all.  Of course, we could also make a good case for there being no science prior to that...

@Rad Man: OK that is your opinion. Anyway I am curious to know, if you don't mind answering (I understand if you don't want to answer), do you believe in God? This maybe a long shot, but what is your zodiac sign?
                @wilderness: Yes, but without astrology, would astronomy and the scientific revolution had happen?? I don't think so. Astrology is the foundation of Astronomy. Astrology was used to create calenders and time, predict lunar cycles, the changes in the seasons and help with farming/gathering of crops. They looked to the sun and moon to predict events within the physical realm (earth).
                By the way its impossible to predict the validity of astrology because if people understood what astrology is you know its impossible to statistically prove it. Astrology does not conform to the standards of science/scientific methodology It all about humans relationship with the stars and planets. If anything psychology as a science is more similar to astrology then anything else scientific. Carl Jung dabble in astrology, modern British psychologist and astrologer Liz Greene is highly regarded and respected. Humans are complex and are not predictable.  Astrology has elements of prediction (but I don't believe in that). There is a lot of things we can't prove, but know/believe to exist? What is love? I understand this is a subjective question, but can we see or prove it? No, Not really.. Do many people believe it exists and is valid... Yes! Why do we dream? Is there any proof we dream? Or is it all in our head? Why are we here on earth? Where do we come from? Science has yet to answer that question. btw this maybe a long shot too, but what is your zodiac sign?

1. profile image0

I'm a scorpio that is not superstitious.

Ok thank you!

Yes, without astrology astronomy most definitely WOULD have happened.  People the world over were studying the sky, watching lunar phases and star/planet positions long before astrology every began.  The Incas, Aztecs and builders of stonehenge all used astronomy.

If you don't think astrology is a system for predicting human behavior, just what do you think it is?

@wilderness: all these ancient civilizations/peoples used astrology before astronomy was even a thought. Astrology began way before astronomy. They look to sky, stars, and planets as important and as a way to make their lives better and to help their communities/societies flourish. They believed that the sky, stars, and planets in our universe had an effect on humans and the earth. Before this was science, these ancient peoples/societies realized the importance of the sky, stars, and planets have on earth and humans. How can they even think of all of this? How did they know this was something they had to do when science and supposedly logic thought was no where to be found? Why were all these ancient societies in all these far and different parts of the world with no contact with each other, virtually doing the similar things? Clearly it wasn't science/ logical thought, it was way before all of that, when there was no scientific basis or logic to what they were doing.
                    It's not that I don't think astrology has elements of predicting human behavior. It's just that I don't really understand it and believe in it too much. There is too much variables and factors that can effect the accuracy of these predictions. Plus predictions lead to a very dangerous and slippery slope that makes someone lose control of themselves and give all the control to the prediction. What if someone told you something important like when you are going to die. More than likely you would obsess over that and it would control you.  That is why a lot of astrologers don't do predictions. I use astrology in a very similar way to psychology to get insight into human motivations and behavior. It is used to give insight to a person's personality, to help people understand and work on themselves. Astrology isn't just about predicting behavior that is a BIG misconception. There are different categories/branches of astrology (natal, horary, etc). Plus I would say that a lot of people that don't believe in astrology, know nothing about it, they think its just the 12 signs and the horoscopes in the back of the newspapers and that's it. Its not true, people need to do their own research before dismissing something they know nothing about. If anything I challenge someone to do a natal chart using their birthday, the exact time of birth, and the location they were born in. If they still don't believe in that no harm done. You can find it free natal chart on Google and it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I'm not sure at all if it's useful or not. I've never heard anyone explain to me exactly what, aside from gravity stretching it's curvature out towards us, is the cause and effect behind astrology. We know the moon and sun probably have the most influence over us, and at best it manages to give us tides.

So, if you could please explain to me what exactly is causing the influence over us from the perspective of astrology, perhaps then, we can determine if it is indeed, useful.

If you're into and believe in psychology it maybe useful to you. Its supposed to provide insight to human personality and behavior.There are many different astrology systems: Chinese, Western, Vedic (also known as Indian/Hindu) astrology, I mostly follow western astrology. Anyway in Western astrology we have the personal planets (Sun, Moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, and Ascendant). They are directly related and unique to us because it is different for everyone. You can find this out by doing a natal chart based on the time, place, and day you were born. If you're interested just Google free natal chart on Google and click on one of the first 5 links. Be sure to have your birth certificate handy for your time of birth. After that are the trans-personal planets (Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto) that can be seen as generational because they move slower and say longer in each sign. Again you find this all out by doing a natal chart on yourself. All the planets (and asteroids) effect us personally according to astrology. Its like a blueprint of our personality and mainly offers us insight to ourselves. Anyway Astrology is a big topic and there are many factors involved in astrology, too many things to explain. Perhaps if you did your own natal chart you can begin to understand the usefulness of it.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55

Thank you for that explanation, however I have heard that one many times before.

I was actually asking what are the cause and effect of astrology? How does it affect us humans? Please explain.

A natal chart is not what I'm looking for, I have had those done before, they have not proved useful in anyway and appear to be little more than generalizations and characteristics that everyone possesses. How exactly does astrology affect those things? Please explain.

2. deecoleworld profile image73

Its one thing to do a natal chart, its another thing to understand it. Its not generalizations/characteristics that everyone possesses. that makes no sense, if that is the case, then i am sure everyone was born on the exact day, time and place as you.
        Your question does not make sense to me: What are the cause and effect of astrology? Astrology isn't really about cause and effect, the interpretation is up to you. Again it doesn't offer quick answers and explanations, just a different way of seeing things. If you understood astrology you wouldn't ask a question like this.
        If you really want to know how it affects humans. Perhaps you can look at transits, progressions and ephemerides. This part of astrology I believe can be a dangerous slippery slope if people take it too seriously. Transits are the movement of the planets, asteroids, and other celestial objects in the universe at real time. During transits, planets can go to retrograde. Example: When mercury is in retrograde communications may suffer delays and problems may acquire. such as arguments, packages being delivered to the wrong places. This time is a time to reflect, not sign contracts, and not make life changing decisions. Like know depending on where you live then right now Mercury is in     Я (retrograde) in the sign of Scorpio: An interpretation of Mercury retrograde Scorpio example:

"This is the time for digging deep to heal the wounds of the past. There is always a nostalgic and retrospective energy to Mercury Retrograde, but this particular one will have a more emotionally driven tone. In fact, there could be a downright obsessive quality as our minds tend to get fixated on attachments or passions of the past.
        It's seductive to go back to past lovers or sources of infatuation under this transit. It's also easier to get hung up on old emotional scars. If we can summon the more regenerative quality of this transit to heal and transform some of our more deeply entrenched psychological patterns, we will be using this Mercury Retrograde as a path for healing.
        On the other hand, if we fall prey to the more destructive sides of this influence like jealousy, possessiveness and mental obsession, we could literally watch our minds become our own demise. Many secrets will be shared and potentially leaked under this influence, as Scorpio rules all-things private, buried and covert. Another survival strategy for Mercury Retrograde in Scorpio is to listen more and speak less. Words can get twisted and convoluted during this time, so less is definitely more."

http://www.astrology.com/mercury-retrog … d-d-550184

Do your own research and make your own mind up!

Of course, it makes sense, we are all people, we are all the same species and have all the same biological makeup, that which makes up our characteristics.Of course, all of us possess the same characteristics, just in different measures.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Sorry, but if you can't explain how astrology works, how do you know it works? That makes no sense.

Then, it is just make believe.

You mean, I can interpret it anyway I want? And, that is useful, how?

What way of seeing things? What does that mean, exactly? If you say it tells us how we are, then that is the way we are supposed to see it, yes? How else is it supposed to be seen?

That is the reason I am asking you. Do you understand it? If so, it should be no problem to explain how it works?

True, but there is no effect on us as individuals, especially anything that has to do with our individual behavior.

Sorry, that is false, there are only two planets with retrograde orbits, the others are prograde and they never go retrograde.

That is all just guess work, there is no basis in fact at all, it's all just made up as it is based on a false premise that planets go retrograde.

That has proved fruitless, there is no information whatsoever to do any research. No one can explain how it works. You haven't either, but instead offered some guesswork based on wrong information.

If you didn't understand evolution, I could give you a summarized version of how it works, but if you really wanted to understand, as I do with astrology, I could provide links to plenty of sites that have boatloads of information, facts and evidence on how it works.

Can you not do the same thing with astrology?

@EncephaloiDead: First and foremost I am not nor do I claim to an expert on astrology. I have done research for years and determine it to be true in MY OPINION. A lot of this doesn't make sense to you, because you simply to not understand what I am saying, the terms I am referring to, etc. Its similar to explaining physics to someone who has never studied physics and do not know the basics of it. astrology can-not be summarized, there are a lot of factors to consider and has been around for thousands of years. I can give you a definition but that doesn't help or explain anything because a definition is very vague. Astrology isn't as specific as evolution (which is a theory, not a fact btw).

By the way you are wrong there is a lot of information out there, especially on the internet. For natal charts, chaos astrology, and astrolabe are good sites.For general information astrology.com, astrologyzone and sassastrology, cafeastrology. For celebrity astrological information and information on transits there is astrotheme. If you want to read blogs, The Astrology Place, Elsa Elsa, and Solaris Astrology are good blogs. If you want to chat with people about astrology and like a forum environment there is the astrologers community and Lindaland are good. If you want to read books on astrology check out authors like Liz Greene, Stephen Arroyo and Linda Goodman. If you want to look at videos on astrology check out Astrolada, KRS Astrology (for Vedic astrology), LiveVision, Veerle Debruyne,  Alyssa Sharpe, the Peacedealer, and Penny Astrology/whackowitch. There are plenty of information and resources.  Besides your questions are very vague and you are not asking the right questions. If you understood astrology more you would understand these questions are not really good.

But, you haven't actually said anything yet, so there really isn't anything to understand. The terms are easy to understand and don't even come close to physics. I'm happy that you believe it's true, but there isn't a shred of evidence to support astrology as anything other than mindless entertainment.

Yes, I understand those sources, they have been pointed out to me by others who believe in astrology but have never been able to explain it. Clearly, it's little more than mythological nonsense.

Thanks for clearing that up. smile

@EncephaloiDead: I am just realizing you are a troll exhibiting troll behavior. Especially the fact that you joined hubpages for over a year, still don't have any hubs and love to comment on questions and forums mostly regarding philosophy and religion. You are not here to try to understand. I am all open for a debate I enjoy debates. When so, you came in with preconceived ideas on astrology and you actually don't want to learn. You are disrespectful and intolerant. I am done wasting my time trying to explain something to you, when clearly you don't give a f**k! about it! big_smile  I am also done responding to you. Have fun being a troll!!!  smile

2. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

No. But I think it's a fun idea when people don't take it too seriously. I always still crack open my fortune cookies!

It's sort of like psychics. They say something really vague and your mind identifies something connected with it and it all seems to make sense. But really, most other people could apply the same vague description/statement and connect it to their life, too.

If I look at my zodiac sign (Libra) I can find a lot of things that describe me perfectly. I can also find a lot of things that don't. But people are generally really excited to see something and say "wow, that is so me!" so they just skip past the parts that aren't so accurate.

3. deecoleworld profile image73

BTW to everyone here,  I challenge you to do a natal chart using your birthday, the exact time of birth, and the location you were born in.  You can find it free natal chart on Google and it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Chaos astrology and Astrolabe are good sites for that!

1. wilderness profile image96

What will we find if we do so?  A prediction of what we will be like?

Again its not a prediction. Its supposed to give you insight to your personality. If you do it you will understand, that is not a prediction!

If it tells you what you will be like (personality) in the future, that's a prediction by definition.  A newborn does not have any "personality" to speak of - that only comes with time and experience, so astrology must be predicting that personality.

I do not believe that a newborn doesn't have a personality. Why do babies act differently? Why are some quiet, and others cry a lot? And please do not tell me parenting, that a load of bull. If anything it could be genetics, but it could be other things that are playing a role too!!!.

Could you offer any examples of "other things that are playing a role"?

Seems there aren't many reasons why babies cry, unless they are feeling pain or are sick. They don't have a whole lot of needs and crying is there way of communicating those needs.

Do you know something different that we don't know?

1. Aime F profile image70
                Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are lots of reasons babies cry and some of them do a whole lot of it while others barely make a peep. There are three basic temperament types that determine behaviour in a number of areas.

I don't think astrology has anything to do with it, but babies definitely have the beginnings of personality... temperament generally sticks with you for life.

Odd, why do hear so many times that people are not what they were when they were children?

1. Aime F profile image70
                    Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Temperament would determine stuff like activity level, biological functions (eating/sleeping), adaptability, intensity, etc.

Evidence indicates that there is at least "moderate consistency" in the development of infancy onward. So, an infant who is easily adaptable, has regular eating/sleeping patterns, and positively responds to new stimuli will likely remain that way through toddlerhood and adolescence.

They can certainly change, which is why it's cited as 'moderate' consistency. It's not a lifelong sentence to being difficult or shy or adaptable, but if you had a specific temperament as a child, it's likely to stay with you to at least some extent. It might not be as evident or be something that defines you, but it'll be there.

These also aren't things that are always immediately noticeable or affect adults as much as they do infants. For example, the inconsistent sleep patterns of a baby with a difficult temperament are probably going to affect an infant's overall personality more than it will an adult's, if that makes any sense. smile

2. deecoleworld profile image73

First and foremost this is a loaded question. Even so, let's talk about childhoods. The planets and signs all represent something in astrology. Not only that but aspects. There are different aspects in astrology, the easy aspects (sextiles, trines) and the hard aspects (squares and oppositions). Lets relate the planets and aspects. An example:

A kid with hard aspects to Saturn may not drew up with much material things. Saturn rules over Capricorn and it symbolizes fear, boundaries, responsibilities and limitations. This kid may have been living in poverty and may have had a hard childhood. On the flip-side another kid with with hard aspects to Saturn may have been rich but lacked or not had a strong a father figure (Saturn symbolizes an authority figure in astrology too, Google mythology to learn more on that). Perhaps his father worked a lot and offer a lot of material things but didn't offer love. It all depends where Saturn is in a natal chart. Hard aspects to Saturn in 2nd or 4th house may show poverty and lack of a strong father figure.
                Another example: A kid with a mercury retrograde may be seen as quiet. I have a natal mercury retrograde and as a baby, my mom told me I was very quiet. I rarely cried and I mostly just stared at people. There are others signs in my chart that points to this quietness too!!! Even now I am still quiet but I am also reflective. I can be talkative if I want to, its just that most times I am content with silence!
                Temperaments can be seen in astrology too. Air and fire signs are known to be more extroverted, while water and earth signs are known to be more introverted. Even so, what if you are a water sun sign with a lot of planets in an air or fire sign? Perhaps you don't fit with the water sign parts of you

Ah, so Astrology is just another mythology. Thank you for setting me straight, that explains everything.

Astrology is not just mythology. Astrology involve mythology, geometry, philosophy, psychology, history, astronomy, theology, and many more disciplines.

It being that genetics is the only thing I can see that will influence a newborns reactions to stimuli (such as hunger or fear) what else do you refer to?

As far as genetics, I absolutely refuse to believe that a planet's position, millions of miles away, can repeatedly and consistently influence how the genes of two gametes combine OR change that combination once done.  It just doesn't happen.

@wilderness: You know what I am referring to. I am referring to astrology. Anyway if you refuse to even be open to the idea or try to understand astrology there is nothing I can do. I believe in what I believe, and have offered you a chance to see something differently. So I am moving on!!!!

As far as I can tell, you are referring either to planetary location at birth affecting genetic predisposition OR foretelling the future.  Beyond that, you've lost me.

But you may be right that it is best to move on as I do not believe either possibility.

@wilderness: Please do not put words into my mouth. Do your own research and make your own mind up. Moving on.............

4. profile image51
    me-aniposted 9 years ago

Long time ago there were Astrology experts in India. They were genuine but few in numbers. So, now you can see for yourself. If they were few in number in ancient time, now its all commercial. Its all hit and trial now. If may or may not be useful.

5. profile image51
    me-aniposted 9 years ago

Long time ago there were Astrology experts in India. They were genuine but few in numbers. So, now you can see for yourself. If they were few in number in ancient time, now its all commercial. Its all hit and trial now. If may or may not be useful.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

So, anyway…
    I think it is so cool that all the babies being born today (since 2013) have Neptune in Pisces.

What is your explanation of this configuration within their charts?

7. deecoleworld profile image73

Again Psychology as a discipline is more similar to astrology then anything else scientific. Carl Jung dabble in astrology, modern British psychologist and astrologer Liz Greene is highly regarded and respected. Humans are complex and are not predictable.  Astrology has elements of prediction (but I don't believe in that and don't think of it as useful).
    To all people on this forum!!! I use astrology (and many others) in a very similar way to psychology to get insight into human motivations and behavior. It is used to give insight to a person's personality, to help people understand and work on themselves. Astrology isn't just about predicting behavior that is a BIG misconception. There are different categories/branches of astrology (natal, horary, vocational, etc). Plus I would say that a lot of people that don't believe in astrology, know nothing about it, they think its just the 12 signs and the horoscopes in the back of the newspapers and that's it. Its not true, people need to do their own research before dismissing something they know nothing about.

I challenge everyone here to do a natal chart using your birthday, the exact time of birth, and the location you were born in.  You can find it free natal chart on Google and it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Chaos astrology and Astrolabe are good sites for that! I hope this will give you a good grasp of what astrology is. If they still don't believe in that no harm done.

By the way there is a lot of information out there, especially on the internet. For natal charts, chaos astrology, and astrolabe are good sites.For general information astrology.com, astrologyzone and sassastrology, cafeastrology. For celebrity astrological information and information on transits there is astrotheme. If you want to read blogs, The Astrology Place, Elsa Elsa, and Solaris Astrology are good blogs. If you want to chat with people about astrology and like a forum environment there is the astrologers community and Lindaland are good. If you want to read books on astrology check out authors like Liz Greene, Stephen Arroyo and Linda Goodman. If you want to look at videos on astrology check out Astrolada, KRS Astrology (for Vedic astrology), LiveVision, Veerle Debruyne,  Alyssa Sharpe, the Peacedealer, and Penny Astrology/whackowitch. There are plenty of information and resources. 

Do your own research and make your mind up!!!!

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

My point had nothing to do with free will versus fate, it was about how because of gradual shifts in planetary alignment the star signs we use today aren't even accurate. Different constellations are ascendant during those months of the year now.

Sorry I thought that was what you refering to, regardless repeating what I said in response:

The information you are presenting is not accurate in regards to astrology. There is a misconception that astrology is all about looking at the stars. Its actually about looking mostly at planets and asteroids (and not stars). If you do your own natal chart you will see that it really isn't about stars. Also most of what astrology is about, is done in real time, not hundreds of years ago. Natal charts are done for your birth-date (and unless you were born hundreds of years ago) your point doesn't make any sense. Astrology is very old, but its very applicable to modern times. Again it doesn't seem like you know much about astrology. Do your own research!!!

Copying and pasting that post over and over does not make it any more true or valid.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is about how those planets movements relate to star movements as seen from the Earth--so, still pretty much about stars.

no it isn't psycheskinner. It isn't just about stars. You are wrong!

1. janesix profile image59
            janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why are you so worried about what other people think of astrology? I think you're making a big deal over nothing.

I am not worried, I am annoyed by people that don't know what astrology is, having an negative opinion over it. It shows ignorance is bliss and I want them to understand there is more to astrology whether they believe it or not. I was hoping for a debate/intellectual conversation, but instead a group of mostly ill-formed people who have never did any meaningful outside research on astrology having opinions based on ignorance. By the way is not a big deal over nothing. There are a lot of misconceptions about astrology that I was hoping to disprove some of them.

Well you need to work a bit harder if you plan on disproving anything.

You still haven't answered "how" it works. Do you have any theories even?

I feel whatever I had said before answered the "how" it works question.  Like what is it you do not understand? I also feel my words are taken with blind ear and in vain.

I mean by what means do the planets actually have influence over people's lives? Through what medium? Gravity? Something we have yet to discover? (such as the ether, or prana, things like that). I am willing to entertain any and all ideas, but I need to see it as something that science can (at least potentially) understand.

If you think I am uninterested in astrology, you are wrong. I give it the benefit of the doubt. Just like chakras and things like that.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55

You can't even explain how it works and have already admitted there is no explanation for how it works. It's not possible to have an intellectual debate or conversation about something that has no bearing on reality.

Sorry, if you feel others who don't swallow the astrology myth are ill-informed or don't know what astrology is just because they don't accept it as you do, that is actually opposite, we are informed, that is why we understand astrology is bogus.

9. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

If your aim was to get people interested in astrology, you're way off the mark. Your responses and the "information" you're providing in this thread make me less interested in astrology than I have ever been.

That wasn't my aim, and if you feel that way good for you. Notice I am pretty much the only one advocating for astrology and most of everyone here has set out to disprove astrology, instead of really listening or considering what I am saying. I pretty much try to answer all their questions as best as I could and clearly I feel a lot of my responses has been a waste of time because people on this forum still refuse to get it.

10. hashtag17 profile image61
    hashtag17posted 6 years ago

Hello
    I do not believe in astrology , for the simple reason that they are not legit. How can the movement of celestial bodies cause harm to any human. The theories that came up are an extended information. But following it religiously is not the way to go about with it.
    Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)