What is your practical interpretation of non-denominational?

1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image81
    Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 4 months ago

The formal definition of non-denominational is self-explanatory, yet it means a myriad of different things in real life. I am curious to know what the non-denominational "experience" looks like in everyday churches attended by everyday people.

For example, what are you core doctrinal beliefs? What liturgical formulas do you generally adhere to and are they rigid or flexible? What are your requirements for church leadership? View the Bible as authoritative or not? Read the Bible as literal or not? Baptize babies? Can guests partake in communion? What is the economic/ethnic/racial makeup of your ND church?

1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image81
      Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 4 months ago in reply to this

I'll start.

The church I serve in began in the late 70s as a ND intended to draw folks who felt as if they were on the margins in other church homes. Today we basically cling very tightly to five core principles: the Trinity, the Resurrection, by grace alone through faith alone, atonement, and the full divinity and humanity of Christ. These are "core" in that they maintain the full integrity of the process of salvation and allow for peripheral disagreement without altering the terrain of the faith.

Other than the inertia of some older older members, we thus have nothing holding us back from adopting new ways of doing things but we do tend to lean toward the Reformist perspective when is comes to making a choice one way or the other.