Debit/Credit Card swipers on Candy machines?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 23 months ago

Here's a random observation:

Earlier today I noticed that the candy/soda vending machines in my work place have had new card-swiping devices for credit/debit card payments installed on them.  This was a new one on me. My first thought was "Seriously? This isn't opening a whole new avenue of card fraud/I.D. theft or anything."

Potential risk aside, maybe I'm out of step with the times, but it seems to me if you're reachin' for plastic just to buy a frickin' Snickers bar out of a vending machine... maybe you don't really need that Snickers bar after all.

Oh, and here's the best part: a sticker on the machine says that debit card users will be charged an extra 10 cents per item for the convenience/privilege. Get the hell outta here!!

I just had to get that off my chest. Thanks!

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 23 months ago

Not me!!!  Those machines are often rented or purchased by private vendors

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 23 months ago

My office candy machine is safer than Home Depot or Michael's based on my experience.

Most days I don't even carry cash. So to me using a no fee debit swipe is easier than going someone to get cash (all the nearby ATMs charge $4 per withdrawal) and walking around with pockets full of change.