jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Jailbreaks are Fair use

1. sunforged profile image73
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

http://www.insanelymac.com/apple-loses- … -fair-use/

Finally, Jailbreaks are fair use - its always pissed me off that Apple was such a closed system.

having to download an app (and pay for a decent one) just to have voice dialing! in iphone 3g.. aargh

2. englightenedsoul profile image60
    englightenedsoulposted 6 years ago

I am relieved...I feared to jail break my Iphone as I would lose out on warranty but had to do it as it was turning out to be a useless device without the third party applications. 

But SF, does this ruling means that the warranty on jailbreak phone would be valid?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No.  It still voids the warranty and if the phone comes with a built in service prover fee, you still have to pay it.

3. sunforged profile image73
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

it means.. i can continue to sell jailbroke iphones

i was never worried - but its good to be legit.

and im happy about the principle... i always thought it was ludicrous that the original manufacturer had a legal right to tell me what i could do with my purchase.

i bought my apple products - i didnt lease them. if their product doesnt perform to my needs i should have the right to adapt and change in anyway i like for my personal use.

...squaretrade warranties are far superior to applecare anyway

1. englightenedsoul profile image60
      englightenedsoulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Exactly my sentiments...Though selling is not much of a problem in India...Infact if you have a jailbroken Apple product with the latest application, it will fetch you more money than what a Apple reseller would give.  I had a first generation Ipod touch which I had purchased when Ipod touch was just launched...I purchased the 8GB touch for Rs.17,333 and 3 months back I sold it for Rs.13000.  I just upgraded it and installed some nice application and games.

And I wish if square trade warranties were available here.  I came to know about it when some purchased it through my amazon link and I am sure it is probably from your post I have on my blog.  I have even read your hub on it where you compare apple care v/s Square trade for Ipad.

working