Martha's Vineyard Summer Vacations
A short ferry ride from Cape Cod will take you to the beautiful island of Martha's Vineyard for a summer getaway, a day trip or a romantic weekend. Here you will find old New England whaling towns with antique homes and romantic inns, rural towns and rolling countryside and landmarks like the Cliffs of Aquinnah. Visit the three main towns on the island, each with a distinctive flavor and browse the one of a kind shops and art galleries. There are a variety of beaches suiting every taste, from gentle waves and fishing havens to the rough Atlantic Ocean beaches with long stretches of soft white sand and waters perfect for surfing.
Accommodations vary on the island. You will have your choice of antique inns and spas, a luxury waterfront resort, and huge selection of rental properties across the island. Whether you are looking for a small condo, a waterfront estate or something in between, you will easily find something suitable that can be rented for a week, month or entire summer.
Edgartown Tour and Katama Beach
Chappaquiddick: A Short Tour
Sunset on the Beach in Aquinnah
Oak Bluffs Houses
Things To Do On Martha's Vineyard
Here is just a sampling of the recreational activities to enjoy on Martha's Vineyard:
- Water-sports: Sailing, surfing, windsurfing,kayaking and jet-skiing.
- Relax at one of the many beaches, search for seashells, go clamming.
- Bike the island. Martha's Vineyard has miles and miles of bike paths through the rural areas and along the beaches, safe for kids to ride too.
- Rent a scooter or a Harley and tour the island.
- Ride The Flying Horses Carosel , the oldest indoor carosel on the East Coast and reach for the brass ring. Warning: visitors get very competitive with this old fashioned game and it is addictive!
- Take a 45 minute ferry ride to the neighboring island of Nantucket. Nantucket is also bike friendly!
- Take a 2 minute ferry ride across the Edgartown Harbor to explore the rustic island of Chappaquidick.
- Browse the art galleries in Vineyard Haven and enjoy a coffee and pastry at one of the outdoor cafes.
- Visit the tiny fishing town of Menemsha, fish from the rock wall and enjoy the fresh fare from the waterside raw bar.
- Take a pony ride or horseback riding lesson and take in the beautiful views at Pond View Farm .
- Tour the many historic lighthouses on the island.
- Visit the stunning red Cliffs of Aquinnah, but be sure to stop at The Scottish Bakehouse on your way there for the tastiest shortbread this traveler has ever encountered!
- Tour the Jicama Vineyard (the only vineyard on the island).
Watch the videos for more information and ideas about how to spend make the most of your Martha's Vineyard vacation!
Coming Soon: Where to Eat on Martha's Vineyard
You won't find a Stabuck's or chain restaurant anywhere on the island, but trust me, you won't mind!
More by this Author
This is the story of my 3 year struggle with daily migraine quality headaches. Included are resources for further explanation, where to find support, and possible alternative treatment options.
Take the kids for an adventure at the Garbage Museum, where they can view how a real recycling plant works from start to finish, including watching from a cat walk while the trucks pull and dump the trash.
Clear and simple tips to finally get your financial records organized, including what to keep and what to shred.