Singapore, well known place in the world for duty free shopping, Sentosa stopovers, gateway to South East Asia, big shipping port, efficient Changi Airport, world's best Singapore Airlines, now adds the well awaited Singapore Casinos or Singapore Integrated Resorts (IRs) to its list of attractions !
Here is your complete guide to Singapore Casinos and also latest news about Singapore Integrated Resorts
See map of Singapore Casinos here
See photos of Resorts World Sentosa RWS Singapore Integrated Resorts here, which is now partially open
Background of Singapore Casinos and Resorts
Earlier in this decade, Singapore realized tourism is going to be important factor for its economic progress. Comparing to nearby regional attractions in Asia like HongKong, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore lacks Casinos and big theme parks. So Singapore government initiated a debate around building Singapore Integrated Resorts or Singapore Casinos, to help provide boost to its tourism sector, by giving one more reason to international visitors to visit this city nation. After ensuring, there will be effective mechanism from day one for Singaporeans to control the ill side effects of having casinos in the country, Singapore government finally decided to issue two licenses in 2005. And this is how the story of Singapore Casinos or Integrated Resorts started
Singapore with its passion to be the "Best in the world", is not just starting just another casino, but actually developing a new theme of Integrated Resorts like in Las Vegas or the likes, to be sort of uniquely positioned in the region
Singapore Casino Guide
Singapore has two main Casinos, in two popular tourist locations, Marina Bay & Sentosa
Magical Sentosa Island adds another jewel in its crown. This is Singapore's first Integrated Resort, owned by Genting International (same company which runs the famous casinos in Genting Highlands near Kuala Lumpur Malaysia), started operating in a limited way on 20th of Jan 2010. First casino started running on the morning of Lunar new year on 14th of Feb 2010
Main attractions at Resort World Sentosa include the
- The Resort World Casino : Of course the biggest crowd puller attraction
- Universal Studios Singapore Theme park : This is going to be very thrilling experience. It has movie based themes as you ride the roller coasters, bringing the "silver screen to life" as they say
- Marine life park : Going to be the biggest oceanarium in the world, where families can have "whale of a time"
- Maritime Xperiential Museum : The museum will provide a fascinating look at the history of the Maritime Silk Route along the Strait of Malacca and Asia's greatest ports and coastal cities from 9th to 19th century, when explorers discovered and opened up trade and new maritime routes in Asia
FestiveWalk : Connecting place, with Light & Sound shows, "Crane dance", for dining and shopping
Map of Universal Studio
Universal Studios need special section, as they are going to be main attraction for visitors !
There are going to be 7 zones of Universal Studios in Singapore
- Hollywood : Giving you the taste of Hollywood, this zone will host the Pantages Hollywood TheaterTM along with good dining and shopping choices. You can visit Mel's Drive InTM from famous movie American Graffiti and enjoy burgers and Cokes the old fashioned way
- New York : Get a taste of New York city as you take a stroll down this zone, enjoying the city skyline, neon lights. There is also a show hosted by Steven Spielberg
- Sci-Fi CityTM : This is city of future, giving you taste of futuristic city life. As they say, try and see if you can keep your wits about you whle madly spinning this whirling attraction
- Ancient Egypt : Go back to 1920's Egypt, when entire Pharoh's tombs were discovered, and their terrible curses unleashed. Take a path of the archeologist, as you unravel the cryptic riddles of the Sphinx, and have a good time
- The Lost WorldTM: This zone is home to popular attractions of Jurassic ParkTM and WaterWorldTM. This gives you taste of rain forests taking back to the Jurassic era, water rides which will trill you enough, along with surprises like explosions of water and fire
- Far Far AwayTM : This is fantasy land from famous movie "Shrek", showcasing the lifestyle of the rich and the fairy-taled.
- MadagascarTM : Based on Madagascar of course, this is dense tropical jungle, filled with strange and wonderful animals like lemurs and foosas
Universal Studios opened on 18th March. There was no negative report this time, as they did a good job by controlling the number of people visiting. During this soft launch, they are open 9 am to 6 pm, which many feel are not good value for money, other than this there is lot of positive news !
Main attractions at Marina Bay Sands Singapore IR include the
- SandsSkyPark : Designed by Moshe Safdie as the main part of the attractions at Marina Bay Sands, this is going to be top of the world experience. Seeing the Singapore Flyer on one side and Singapore skyline on another, it will re-define the Singapore skyline by itself for sure !
- Marina Bay Sands will have the Spa from Banyan Tree, see more details here
See map of Marina Bay Sands Casino Singapore here
Please note, the Marina Bay Sands Singapore opened for public on 27th April (at Feng Shui approved time of 3.18 pm). It is kind of limited edition right now, as following attractions are only open in Phase I. Phase II is targeted for June 23rd, and remaining attractions will open later in 2010
- On 27th April, nearly 1000 hotel rooms, 300 retail stores, convention center along with Casino (about 1000 tables and 1,400 slot machines) opened for public
- SandsSkyPark is expected to open on 23rd of June
RWS directory and guide
Singapore Casino opening dates
- Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) Singapore opened 4 of the 6 hotels on 20th of Jan 2010 (Crockfords Tower, Hotel Michael, Festive Hotel, and Hard Rock Hotel Singapore)
- Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) Singapore FestiveWalk soft-opened on 30 Jan 2010.
- Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) Singapore Casino opened on 14th Feb (coinciding with the Lunar New Year)
- As per press release Resorts World Sentosa (RWS), for sneak peek week, Universal Studios Singapore will open from 5pm to 9pm every night from 14 Feb to 21 Feb. Admission will be by $10 tickets, rebated by a same-value dining voucher. Sale of the tickets starts from 11:18am Friday, 12 Feb 2010. Guests can visit the box office at the Universal Studios Singapore front gate to purchase tickets for another day (there will be no same day ticket sales available).
Universal Studios opened from 18th March for visitors ! Tickets can be purchased at www.rwsentosa.com or by calling +65 6577 8899, or by visiting ticket booths
Main attractions for Universal Studios in this phase will be Hollywood, New York, Sci-Fi CityTM, Ancient Egypt, The Lost WorldTM (Jurassic ParkTM and WaterWorldTM), Far Far AwayTM and MadagascarTM
There have been reports that phone bookings take a long time as RWS cannot cope up with demand, RWS website is too slow, you better go their personally etc. But to be frank, this is just short term glitch, similar thing happened when Singapore started the first ever F1 night race, give couple of weeks and things should be really normal and as per Singapore standards
Marina Bay Sands is now open : On 27th April, nearly 1000 hotel rooms, 300 retail stores, convention center along with Casino (about 1000 tables and 1,400 slot machines) opened for public
- Marina Bay SandsSkyPark is expected to open on 23rd of June
- There are reports on websites that Tiger airways will fly guests from around the region to Singapore casinos on private flights
Singapore Casino Hotels and Integrated Resorts
See map of all Singapore Casino hotels here
- Crockfords Tower : Typical gaming type all-suite hotel with butler service etc
- Hotel Michael : Boutique accomodation (Designer for Resorts world is "Michael" Graves)
- Hard Rock Hotel : Place for hip & young
- Festive Hotel : Located close to the FestiveWalk action
- Equarius Hotel : Near Equarius nature park, for families & nature lovers
- Spa Villas : Luxurious 30 plus villas on a floating lagoon
- Marina Bay Sands Hotel : Hosting the SandsSkyPark gardens on top, standing in front of the Singapore skyline, or re-defining the skyline all together, this is going to be great place to stay at
Singapore casino entrance fee
Singapore casino entrance fee for Singaporeans and PRs :
Casino Entry levy in Singapore (this applies to Singaporeans and PRs only)
- First you need to be 21 years old and above to be eligible to enter Singapore casinos
- Day levy is S$100, per 24 hours, and it is valid for 30 days from purchase of the levy
- Annual levy is S$2000, for 12 consecutive months from your first entry to casino or 90 days from purchase of such levy, whichever happens first
Purchase the Casino Entry Levy for Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) Singapore Casino here
Singaporeans can also add names to the exclusion list for themselves or their family members, by visiting the website for National Council on Problem Gambling. People who are declared bankrupt etc can also get excluded. This website is also a good resource to get help and information about ill effects of gambling
Universal Studio Singapore Entrance fees
Type of Passes
Adult (Age 13-64) in S$
Child (Age 4-12) in S$
Senior (Age 64 and above) in S$
Day Pass (One day pass for all attractions)
Annual SuperStar Pass (Unlimited pass with many other discounts)
Annual Fun Pass (limited to 312+ days, but includes many weekends too)
Express Pass (Valid for use only one (1) time at each participating attraction. Universal Express pass is not valid for admission to the theme park)
Singapore Casino jobs
Singapore casinos are going to bring tourist dollars to Singapore, but they will also create 35,000+ jobs in Singapore. So far these jobs were in construction related activities of casinos, now the jobs open for services like hotels, casinos, security, restaurants, shops etc etc
Here are your ready resources to keep in touch with Singapore Casino Jobs news
Marina Bay Sands has kicked off its final recruiting activity, as you can read here. Marina Bay Sands recruitment centre is open from Monday to
Friday 10am to 7pm, Saturday 10am to 3pm and is located at #02-34
Mountbatten Square, 229 Mountbatten Road. See the video on Marina Bay Sands recruitment and latest progress here
Buys on making money in casinos
More by this Author
Mustafa Centre Singapore, is an iconic place. It is probably the only place in Singapore of its size, which is open for customers 24 hours, every day of the year ! Mustafa Singapore has a variety of Indian goods, but...
Quick tips on how to find Indian food anywhere in Singapore
No comments yet.