Home Remedies for Cat Scratching Problems
On my previous article, I have sighted ways on how to keep your cats away from the furniture. I also explained why these feline loves to scratch and that we cannot do anything about it because it is how they were created. Yes, that this attitude of cats that we hate the most are natural and normal to every cats in town.
Now, I want to continue feeding you with information I gathered from my research. This time, let’s talk more about home remedies and the easiest ways to help you keep your cats away from areas inside the house that are “no cats allowed.”
Simple Ways to Keep Cats Off an Area or Anything
- Train your cats not to go or stay on the furniture as early as possible. Drive them away by simply talking to them or softly patting them away every time they enter a room or get near furniture that is not allowed for them. You can use a cat repellent spray, sand paper or double side tapes on furniture during the training process too. Read more below on how to use these remedies.
- Buy a cat lounger that can draw their attention and will make them comfortable to stay at. A cat lounger can be one of the best gifts you can give your cats and is also very helpful to you as the owner.
- Groom your cats regularly and at least cut their nails every once in a while. Simply remove the sharp part because cutting their nails might hurt them too. Do these during the training process only if possible. If they already got used to not scratching or entering a restricted area then you can let their nails grow normally.
- Give them cat toys to keep them busy. Cat toys are sold in sets and some can be availed at cheaper prices. Also a cat scratcher can be an alternative. Place the cat scratcher or the cat toys near their bed. This will train them to stay inside an area that is practically for them. By the way, cats love to feel that they have a place to call their own. This is also one reason why they scratch to mark their territories. By providing them those alternatives like cat toys and buying them a cat lounger, they surely will be pleased that they have their own territory in the house. Check a sample cat lounger below with scratcher and cat toys all in one. You can set aside a budget for this one and give it as a gift to your adorable cat this Christmas.
How to Prepare and Use a Cat Repellent Spray
- Prepare 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water. As a substitute of the vinegar, prepare 1 part oil (lemon grass, peppermint or citronella).
- Mix these ingredients and pour on an empty spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the furniture at least once a day.
- Cats hate the smell of vinegar and the abovementioned oils.
Make the Furniture Unappealing to Cats
- Cut sandpaper into strips and attach them on the furniture.
- You can also put double sided tape on parts where cats usually do the scratching.
- The textures of these materials are not really attractive to cats because like we always say, they only love to stay on smooth and soft surfaces.