Robin profile image 97

How do I get my chickens to lay in their nesting boxes?

My chickens have laid their first egg, but they didn't lay it in the nesting box. They laid it in the outdoor portion of the coop. Any ideas how I can get them to lay in the nesting box. Right now I have hay in the nesting boxes with fake eggs, but they are pooping in the hay not laying eggs. Thanks!

Theophanes profile image99

Theophanes says

• Robin profile image

Robin Edmondson (Robin) 3 years ago

Thanks! It was the first egg that was laid, so I'm hoping you are right and they choose the nesting box next time! I will lay more hay down for them. I appreciate the response. :)

chef-de-jour profile image98

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• Robin profile image

Robin Edmondson (Robin) 3 years ago

Thanks, chef! I ordered more hay to go in the boxes; I don't think there was enough. Your advice about it being comfy is good and I'll try to make it better. I appreciate your time!