jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My dog became very lothargic all at once. What could've caused it?

1. profile image45
    C REESEposted 8 years ago

My dog became very lothargic all at once. What could've caused it?

2. profile image44
    Baba Thompsonposted 8 years ago

Several things could cause this.  If you have a small dog especially, they are sometimes prone to low blood sugar.  This is common in Chihauhaus and other small breeds.  You may want to try giving a sugar water, or syrup water solution.  I mix half syrup and half water and give to them with a dropper if they won't drink it on their own.  I don't know if this will help, but I hope so.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

There are too many possible causes of lethargy to make guesses here.

It's generally recommended that if pets suddenly become lethargic they should be seen by a vet.  There could be any number of causes - some more serious than others.

If he is taking in water that's important.  Dehydration is one cause of lethargy.

4. Crystal Rose profile image61
    Crystal Roseposted 8 years ago

I would not recommend giving the dog anything sugary. The reason I say this is because lethargy sometimes is one of the symptoms of the onset of diabetes. Has your dog increased its water consumption and urination? If so, then diabetes is a possibility.

I recommend that you bring your dog to your veterinarian as soon as possible. If, indeed, your dog is diagnosed with diabetes, it can be managed with a little patience and a few lessons in checking sugar levels and administering insulin. It's not hard ... we did it for many years for one of our dogs.

It's great that you are noticing behavioral changes with your dog. Those are often the best clues to let you know that something is going on with his or her health.  Good luck and the vet, and I wish you all the best!

working