Ive noticed a little white worm on my cats butt and I was wondering what kind yo

1. profile image43
    Ninnyposted 8 years ago

Ive noticed a little white worm on my cats butt and I was wondering what kind you might think it is?

Ive noticed a little white worm on my cats butt and I was wondering what kind of worm you might think it is? It is small and white and not much to describe other then that. Possibly looks like a very smaller version of a maggot. It's only the size of an eyelash hair but a little thicker.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image85
    Jeffrey Nealposted 8 years ago

Probably a tapeworm.  These are typically small and maggot-like or resemble grains of rice after having dried up somewhat.  The worms are segmented, so what you see is parts of the worm that have broken off.  Animals get them usually by eating fleas, so you will want to ensure there are no more fleas.

You should also get a worming medication from the vet.

3. profile image45
    FluffyLongTailsposted 7 years ago

That sounds very much like a tape-worm or at least part of one, as they're normally very long (they can grow to the length of the intestine). Have you noticed any changes in behaviour, such as ravenous eating or that your kittys tummy is more bloated than usual? They're both common signs of worms, you should get your kitty some worming medication, which will clear up the problem, it should be done regularly every 3/4 months to ensure no nasty suprises.

working