jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

what can i give my 60 lb dog for pain. She stepped on a pitch fork. I am tryin

1. profile image46
    walkushposted 8 years ago

what can i give my 60 lb dog for pain.  She stepped on a pitch fork.  I am trying to avoid...

stitches.  I put neosporin/super glue/ antibiotics from vet on it and it's getting infected i think.  I am going to try cleaning it again w/surgical scrub and wrapping it w/ neosporin.  What can I give her for the pain.  I've been giving her benedryl but I was gone for short time and she had it all licked apart again.

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image65
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 8 years ago

benadryl won't really help the pain, aspirin crushed up can help but don't give too much as it will upset thier stomache. You can also call the vet about pain meds but they may be expnsive. You could also try liquid tylenol like what you give a child, again not too much that will upset her stomache....Lady G a vet advised me once that an adult asprin for a large dog will not harm it so long as you don't give it the coated asprin. Like I said crushed up is best.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

Aspirin or Tylenol will kill an animal!!  Never give it to a dog or cat.  Try triple Antibiotic ointment.  They have one with a pain reliver in it.

4. sasanqua profile image80
    sasanquaposted 8 years ago

You really need to take her back to the vet. Your vet is the expert and can advise you on what you should do. Don't give human medication to a dog, there is no way of knowing what can happen.

5. jackinabox profile image62
    jackinaboxposted 8 years ago

Dogs
    can suffer from diseases and ailments common to humans. Dog owners may dog
    proof the house and the environment to prevent accidents from happening.
    However, dogs, being hyperactive and inquisitive animals have the tendency to
    get injured. Also,... read more

working