jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it true that Cat's will go away to die?

1. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

Is it true that Cat's will go away to die?

My elderly cat has been missing for five days. People keep telling me it probably just went away to die. Do cat's really do this?

2. SimeyC profile image96
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

Well I have been told this too, and when I was younger one of my cat's was dying and he tried to get out of the house - he just wasn't well enough to do this.

Having said that - another of my cats in the US went missing for about 2 months - he came back, well fed and healthy....

3. Jayne Lancer profile image97
    Jayne Lancerposted 7 years ago

One of my cats of almost 25 years old (yes, unbelievably old), who hardly ever left the house, went away one day and never came back. We never found her either.
    Like you, I'd also heard that cats go away to die.

4. PrettyPanther profile image82
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

Yes, they really do this.  One of my cats went missing for two days and a neighbor knocked on my door one day to tell me that he had seen my cat hiding under their house.  We went and got him and took him to the vet, but he was too sick by then and had to be put down.

5. modernparadigm profile image51
    modernparadigmposted 7 years ago

My first cat that I ever had named Stinky left the house right before he died. He was a partial outdoor cat but never left the house for more than a few hours.

Before he died, he took off his collar for the first time and left it in the threshold of my mother's bedroom. He also brought us an over-abundance of "trophies" from outside and was extra affectionate.

We had an old car that was being fixed up (very slowly) in the back part of my property (about 5 acres or more). He climbed into there somehow and died inside. We found him in there a few days after he had gone missing.

I'm not sure why he wanted to leave when he knew he was going to die or even how he knew he was going to die soon. It's sort of a mystery to me.

6. paigetyrrell profile image62
    paigetyrrellposted 7 years ago

Yes. They usually will go to a quiet corner in your house like a closet to die in peace.