jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What type of dogs are good with children?

1. AEvans profile image78
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

What type of dogs are good with children?

2. profile image47
    hegjerloffposted 7 years ago

Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen

See some pictures of them for yourselves.
    http://images.google.com/images?client= … CBgQsAQwAA

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Golden Retrievers are very friendly and good with kids.
    I have two Boarder Collies that I think are great with kids.  I can tell the dog to stay with a child or find the child in the yard and the dog will. Boarder Collies are smart dogs, sometimes too smart. Our dogs are bonded with the kids and protective of them.

4. Best Friend Binks profile image56
    Best Friend Binksposted 7 years ago

I think labs are wonderful, there are two types however and I go for the English big headed kind that have a tendency to be laid back. The age of the child is relevant because the puppy stage can be difficult with jumping up, clawing and chewing toys. Retrievers are also really great. I raised two litters and one puppy went to a couple that had been married one week ,I was  concerned because issues of how to train and raise a puppy can bring up arguments etc. We had a one year party and all was well and then about 6 months ago after 15 years they called to say they had put their dog down and just wanted to thank me and felt like I too had shared something with them and they sent pictures of their kids at the beach with the dog. What transpired for me seeing the pictures receiving the phone call was the fact that this dog had really been a member of the family an indoor dog, sleeper etc. that is half the battle with a dog and kids besides the breed. It is important to make sure the dog you choose becomes a real member of the family. Read about the dog you like and then read too about what breeds may go into creating that breed. Ask questions find the breed and visit one and then make it fit in your lifestyle. I would caution against aggressive breeds because I believe genetics can come out well past the age of two and  surprise your family. I would be glad to help with a particular breed but I need to know what you are thinking of first all kinds of factors come into play, size, energy level, barking, digging, genetics for chasing game etc. good luck and I would be happy to help more. There are so many great breeds of dogs and mixes as well.

5. katkin profile image59
    katkinposted 7 years ago

Staffordshire Bull terriers are excellent with kids,as are Boxers,