jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you teach a cat to play fetch?

1. Kris Z profile image59
    Kris Zposted 8 years ago

How do you teach a cat to play fetch?

I'm trying to teach a cat to play fetch so my kids can play with our cats too, not just our dog.

2. mepperly profile image68
    mepperlyposted 8 years ago

I am pretty sure that clicker training works for that.

3. nifty@50 profile image75
    nifty@50posted 8 years ago

I don't know about fetch, but our cat Tigger likes to chase pieces of sausage links. She also likes to chase cheese balls(Cats all seem to love cheese), but she devours them on the spot. Cats do better chasing string or something fuzzy tied onto a fishing pole's line, cast and real in, cats love to stalk! With cats it really has to be their idea.

4. jkselections profile image57
    jkselectionsposted 6 years ago

Our cat Skipper loves to play fetch with a pony tail holder.  If we leave one out by accident she will find it and bring it to us.  We throw it across the room and she will leap and run after it.  Then she will pick it up in her mouth and bring it over to us waiting for us to throw it for her to fetch.  She will do this until she tires out then will bat it around awhile until she loses it under something that she can't retrieve it from.  It's really funny to watch and really we didn't train her, I think that maybe one day we had one and tossed it across the floor and she ran after it.  Then she would sit and meow because she wanted it thrown again.  Finally she just learned to bring it to us if she wanted it thrown back out again.  Give it a try.

working