jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

what is the horse's worst enemy

1. profile image46
    patrickwagposted 7 years ago

what is the horse's worst enemy

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I would image the horse fly, really irritating.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I'd say it depends on where you live, and whether you're talking about critter-type enemies or weather, disease, etc. I live in Wyoming, and the worst enemies to horses here are mountain lions and feral dogs. The mountain lions are a more recent problem, as several years ago non-native wolves were introduced into Yellowstone Park and the entire state does not have enough habitat for these animals. The mountain lions and other large predators were driven out of their secluded homes by these invaders and are now found preying on ranch animals and living dangerously close to towns. Feral dogs are a huge issue because they're not afraid of humans and have discovered that livestock is easy prey, especially horses that are in smaller pastures or kept temporarily in corrals.

4. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

lol I would have to say humans especially in the US.  Their survival traits are bread out of them in exchange for traits that are more fashion than anything else.  They are judged by ridiculous standards that mean nothing other then to delineate which horses are able to breed to pass on the fashionable traits and when they stop being valuable for stroking their owner's vanity a large portion are put down.  On the race track they often get sold to glue factories and animal feed companies.

5. thebluestar profile image80
    thebluestarposted 7 years ago

Man.  We take horses away from their natural habbitat, feed them on corn, usually too much and get annoyed when they wont comply with us.
    These majestic animals are capable of so much if we know how to respect them. In this case prior knowledge of horse handling is essential, a little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous.

6. damianmsk profile image57
    damianmskposted 7 years ago

water I think. and humans. and the flies