How Can I Tell If My Cat See In Color?

1. Flavie Lolol profile image77
    Flavie Lololposted 7 years ago

How Can I Tell If My Cat See In Color?

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

Do you mean you think your specific cat is color blind or you are wondering  how scientists figured out cats are not color blind?

If you Google for "color blind cat" you'll find … -they-know which will answer that question.

When I was a pup, I was taught that cats and dog and indeed most predators are color blind.  I argued with my teacher about that, because if most predators are color blind why would so many   prey animals adopt color camouflage ?

Dullard that he was, he said because humans can see colors.  I then asked if he really thought we'd been around long enough to have that much influence on so many creatures evolution..

So anyway, years later it turns out that he was wrong and I was right,  which didn't surprise me a bit.

3. michifus profile image81
    michifusposted 7 years ago

Your cat can see in colour, however not to the degree that you can, unless you are colour blind in which case you two might not be too far off each other!

In the retina are two types of cell which pick up light, namely rods and cones. It was always taught in schools that dogs and cats are colour blind as they don't have so many cone cells. I was told they had none. In actual fact they do have some, however nowhere near as many as humans. So yes, they can see colour, just not that well.

Dogs are bichromatic, only seeing in blue and yellow. Poor colour vision is actually the case for most of the mammals, with the exception of us and our bro's the primates who are pretty good at colour reception too, as are many non mammals such as fish, birds and reptiles.