jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which breed of horse has the best temperament for learning to ride?

1. LeonJane profile image88
    LeonJaneposted 7 years ago

Which breed of horse has the best temperament for learning to ride?

2. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 7 years ago

As with most animals, it's really not breed-specific in that there can be good "bomb-proof" horses of all kinds. Most of the ones I've seen that were good starters were Quarter horses, Welsh ponies, Morgans, and even a thoroughbred mare. The last is one that's generally considered a very high-energy horse, but further proof that it's in the individual. Try to find a good been there, done that horse that's calm and doesn't shy easily...most often these are older horses, but not always. These horses do get grown out of quickly, though if it's a child learning then they'll likely last a few years before the rider needs a little more horse to further their learning. The really important thing to remember is to always get a horse that's well-suited to the rider's abilities, though, because a horse that's even a bit too much for someone to handle can spoil both the horse and the rider and is a recipe for disaster.

3. Loretta Kemsley profile image79
    Loretta Kemsleyposted 7 years ago

There is no breed that is automatically safe for a beginner, yet every breed has individuals who would be perfect. While it is true that some breeds are naturally calmer and easy going -- quarter horses and morgans come to mind -- every individual... read more

4. HorseRider33 profile image54
    HorseRider33posted 7 years ago

Well because I go horse Riding I would know because I ride a pony that is the right breed.

All horses are thoroughbred meaning they are the best too ride on therefore not all horse are thoroughbred they are the main one.
    Otherwise one of the horses at my riding stable is a Norwegian Fjord Horse and she's excellent at jumping too.

You can also get good horses like Morgan, a Welsh Pony or Horse or a quarterer horse.

5. profile image0
    amandainesposted 5 years ago

I suppose that as the saying goes, each to his own, and so following this rule I would say that the Andalucian is great.

Having lived in Spain for many years, I have personally experienced this breed's  noble temperament.  It is a breed that is brave and doesn't (usually) spook.  They are in general quite bomb proof and used in all the noisy ferias and festivities (of which there are many) in Spain.

Many small children ride this breed in their first lesson and eventhough they are quite big horses, they respond and listen to the children beautifully.

working