jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are English Springer Spaniels good dogs to be raised around children?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image81
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

Are English Springer Spaniels good dogs to be raised around children?

2. BRIAN SLATER profile image87
    BRIAN SLATERposted 7 years ago

Ken my wifes sister has one of these dogs out in Spain. It is now 2 years old and it has taken most of that time to get the dog to be obedient. these dogs are very lively, constantly on the go and jumping up people and visitors. They need 2/3 mile walks every day at least.They do have a good temperment and are play full, They do seem to like children but they are strong dogs, so can easily knock a small child over. But they do need to be trained properly by some one who knows about these types of dog. You have to be hard on them or they will run you wragged. Today my wifes sisters dog is great but it has taken time and steel to get her that way. Good luck

3. profile image0
    Alissa Margaretposted 7 years ago

I think it'll depend on the age of the dog, age of the children and where you get the dog from.

My family had a Spaniel when I was born, and she was very calm and collected around my siblings and I when we were babies/toddlers. My parents got her from a breeder (not puppy mills, but a reputable one) when they first got married. She was an ideal pet.

My current dog my dad bought on impulse from a pet store after one of my mom's childhood friend died. She is much more temperamental with everyone--children and adults. If you try to take food from her, she'll growl and might try to bite the person. With my family she is the most comfortable and can be very sweet and loving, we try to keep her in her cage when guests come over. With all of the health problems she's had on top of her somewhat aggressive attitude and the fact she came from a pet store, I'm pretty convinced she's a puppy mill dog. 

I'd say do your research as far as the place you get the dog goes.

4. Michael Adams1959 profile image57
    Michael Adams1959posted 7 years ago

OUrs is awesome around little kids and very protective of them. We do not have little kids in the house but when friends are here or we sit for their kids Murray makes sure they are ok. He follows them and is very attentive to where what and how they are doing things. He knows the difference of rough housing with me and then playing gently with a child. English Springer Spaniels are some of the most intelligent of all dog breeds. Many people try to over train them not knowing they have learned the new command and they get bored from being over trained. Yes they are extremely active, we walk ours and take him for rides. He loves it and a quick car ride does the same as a long walk. They need more exercise than just running around outside. They are very sociable dogs and love people.