jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

In your experience, which breeds of dogs are the best swimmers and which breeds

1. akirchner profile image98
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

In your experience, which breeds of dogs are the best swimmers and which breeds are the worst?

I've recently been teaching my malamute to swim - although not the worst swimmer probably, it does not seem 'natural' to him!

2. The Power Glider profile image61
    The Power Gliderposted 7 years ago

Newfoundlands are bred as water dogs.  They are a very large breed though, we had one and at 9 months she was @ 106 lbs.  She loved the water and as a breed they are used as water rescue dogs even.  The Newfie can actually dive and swim under water for up to 17 second.  Over all, a fun and very family friendly breed as well.

3. amaliejanet profile image55
    amaliejanetposted 7 years ago

Good swimmer is a portuguese water dog, A bad swimmer would be any dog that has never swam before.

4. NikenDiana profile image54
    NikenDianaposted 7 years ago

i think labrador also not bad in swimming...

5. akirchner profile image98
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

True Power Glider - newfies are similar to labs - they are USUALLY great water dogs (labs).  We had one though who was similar to a Ferdinand and preferred to watch the clouds pass by rather than swim.  She was not adverse to it, just not all that gungho so to speak - great feedback - thanks!

Ameliejanet - great feedback as well - and you are SO right - any dog that has not been taught (as I recently found out) has a bit of fear about the water....so we are working at making Griff the swimming malamute!

working