My friend has a very spoiled dog with heavy-duty separation anxiety when she lea

1. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

My friend has a very spoiled dog with heavy-duty separation anxiety when she leaves the house -

Even if it's for just a few minutes! How do you convince your friend that the owner and the dog BOTH need training?

2. patdmania profile image56
    patdmaniaposted 7 years ago

Its hard to help out a friend.  Most people have trouble controlling their dogs.  If you put it politely, or mention something off topic.  Ask them if they ever went to obedience school with their dog.  Tell them its a great place to go if you want to correct your dogs anxiety disorder.  It sends out the message without being rude.  I hope this helps.

3. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I think the first question is...does the owner see a problem with the way the dog is behaving? Are there people left at home that have to put up with the dog's anxiety? If there's a recognized issue to work off of, then it might be a lot easier to get onto the topic of training. Personally, I tend to tell people flat-out when their dogs need training or when they're unknowingly provoking undesirable behavior, but I've also been training dogs for years so most aren't offended by it and are willing to listen to training suggestions (if only to be polite). If you don't have a background to point to then it might be a little more dancing around, and sadly some pet owners just never listen until both they and their pet have developed some really nasty bad habits.

Closed to reply

working