jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's a good first pet for children?

1. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 7 years ago

What's a good first pet for children?

2. DStettler profile image59
    DStettlerposted 7 years ago

rats, they are cute, pretty clean and easy to take care of, plus they can withstand a lot.

3. angel115707 profile image59
    angel115707posted 7 years ago

usually they aren't careful enough for delicate critters like parakeets or hamsters until they are 8 or nine, the best thing is a cat at least 3 months old, not to tiny, or a good healthy puppy, that can handle the rascals... I brought a maltipoo home to my 2 and 4 year olds, over a year ago, she is the best dog, never growls or snaps at the kids... always loving and puts up with the hyper boogers!!!

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I have to agree with rats...I've had quite a few of just about every type of rodent commonly kept as a pet, and rats have been the best by far. An adult rat is too big for children to get their hands around enough to hurt them, and their temperament is much better-suited for young handlers. In my experience, gerbils tend to be extremely hyper and hamsters have always needed a lot of work to get past being skittish and/or mean. Rats also don't need training like a puppy will, and they're much less likely to scratch or bite than the average kitten.

Alternatively, if you're looking for more of a "display pet" to teach them responsibility and offer a learning opportunity, I invite you to check out my hub on keeping bugs as pets. I also have one on spiders, but spiders take a bit more work and commitment so I would not really recommend them for children.

working