jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

My puppy is ALWAYS thirsty! Should I be concerned?

1. kaltopsyd profile image78
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

My puppy is ALWAYS thirsty! Should I be concerned?

I mean ALL the time. She's whining and crying for more water after drinking 2 bowls. And she's so upset that I won't give her more - mainly because she has a tiny bladder and will pee in the cage in the house during the night. She's 4 months old. Should I be concerned about this excessive thirst?

2. JBeadle profile image83
    JBeadleposted 7 years ago

You really should consult a vet.  I understand the desire to not have her pee in her cage but most pet/dog owners I know and chats I've had with a vet say you shouldn't limit the amount of water your pet can drink.  Let her drink it up and take her out to pee.  If her thirst absolutely is never satiated - I'd definitely consult with a vet.  She may have a condition and if she does it is probably treatable.

3. Leslie Patton profile image60
    Leslie Pattonposted 7 years ago

Dogs tend to drink a lot, and normally, if they are crate trained, they wont go pee in their crate. So you dont have to worry about that, if thats the case.   Is it hot where you are?  The heat tends to make them drink more.  But I agree with jbeadle if it her thirst is never satisfied, i would consider consulting a vet.

4. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

One of the symptoms of diabetes is unquenchable thirst.  Consult a vet.  If your puppy has this condition or even a bladder infrection, it can be treated.

5. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

Dogs sweat through their mouths and the pads on their feet. Sometimes: when a dog appears to be drinking, they're actually washing the sweat out of their mouth.

Try changing the water in the dog's bowl more often - don't wait till it empties the bowl - especially if the water looks cloudy: IE full of sweat.

Closed to reply

working