toy poodle not eating has had a black tarry stool since then no bowel movement

1. profile image46
    donawtryposted 7 years ago

toy poodle not eating has had a black tarry stool since then no bowel movement  drinks fine and...

urinates fine

2. MoRita profile image94
    MoRitaposted 7 years ago

Black tarry stool and lack of bowel movements can signal dark blood in the stool and a bowel obstruction.  I would bring the dog to the vet because this can get ugly fast.

Check for a hard, distended abdomen and pain in the abdomen if you palpate (squeeze it gently) it.

Good luck.

3. HannahRiley profile image57
    HannahRileyposted 7 years ago

I agree with MoRita, black tarry stools are almost never a good sign..from pediatrics, to adults, to dogs! Watch this dog closely...this can mean a bowel obstruction, or an ulcer, or even worse a form of cancer. Pure bred, small dogs can be finicky with skin disorders as well as other diseases, and should be cared for closely, and collaborating with your vet to ensure it's health. I would take your dog in tomorrow just to be sure, because like MoRita said, it can get ugly fast. Treat it like a baby whose body systems can shut down fast if they don't have adequate nutrition as well as elimination. Hope this helps, and good luck!

working