jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you feel a farmer has the right to shoot a dog if it takes down or kills his

1. lindajot profile image71
    lindajotposted 7 years ago

Do you feel a farmer has the right to shoot a dog if it takes down or kills his sheep?

2. profile image47
    danimyersposted 7 years ago

never shoot, the farmer should do something that causes no pain if they really want to get rid of the dog, how would you feel if you were shot for something that could be justified

3. lilibees profile image59
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

No I don't or chickens for that matter, isn't in a dogs nature to take down chickens, or any other animal!

4. IsadoraPandora profile image83
    IsadoraPandoraposted 7 years ago

As a person who knows the value of livestock, yes, yes I do think it is acceptable. I'd say give the animal one more chance. Contact the owners and if they do not put the dog up properly, then call the pound.

When that fails (as it often does), then shoot, trap or "whatever" the dog to keep your livestock safe. My family and their bellies are worth far more than a stray or ill kept pet.

If people worry about their dogs getting shot, maybe they need to ensure the animal is properly contained.

A farmer has the right to protect his or her property and the welfare of their families.

5. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Yes, a rancher (a person who raises livestock, i.e. sheep) does have the right to shoot a dog if the dog harasses or kills sheep. When I first got a dog ranchers in my area made it clear that they would shoot my dog if the dog harassed their livestock. When I got two dogs and the dogs started to run, I had to keep one on a chain to keep the other dog home-both together unchained would run off for fun chasing turkeys or deer. It's Not great to keep a dog tied up, but dogs trade off and they're still a family pets.

6. hawth11 profile image60
    hawth11posted 7 years ago

Darn right! Once the dog tastes blood, they're ruined. If a person's dog is out killing livestock they're obviously not taking care of the dog (feeding it or keeping it safe). Maybe the owner should be brought up on charges.

working