My 3 yr German Shepard has anxiety when I am home.

1. profile image45
    msthigginsposted 7 years ago

My 3 yr German Shepard has anxiety when I am home.

She cries non stop if I am behind a closed...door and she can't be by my side.  She follows me every where I go, even the bathroom!  What can I do to calm her?

2. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

Hi there,

I don't think the real problem with her is when you are home. It sounds like separation anxiety, so that when you are back she is following you around just in case you decide to leave again. To resolve separation anxiety you need to build up to this up slowly by leaving her for a few minutes in one room then go back and when she has been settled then reward her with cuddles or a treat. Don't reward her if she cries or if she is over excited to see you - you will just reinforce her anxiety. Basically ignore bad behaviour and reward the behaviour that you want. It can sound hard but this is better for your dog and of course for you. Build the time up gradually as her confidence grows. If you find that you are not getting on or feel you are stuck at one point then think about getting a behaviourist to visit you and your dog at home. Hope this helps and lots of luck

working