jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What should I do about my 12 year old Chinese Sharpei, should I put him down due

1. profile image46
    jojomumma1posted 6 years ago

What should I do about my 12 year old Chinese Sharpei, should I put him down due to health problems

so what should i do, I have a 12 year old Chinese Sharpei, he is very old, losing his eyesight, he still likes to play, but he is slowing starting to deteriorate.  He needs dental work done.. and I am not sure what to do..even if he can get the dental work done, he first has to get blood work done to see if he can handle being put under, he is our family dog.. but do I let him suffer more by more dental work...or do I put him to sleep.  I am very confused..

2. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 6 years ago

What would you like done to you if you were in a similar situation as your Sharpei?  Would you like to be euthanized? Your answer here your answer there.

3. marketingskeptic profile image70
    marketingskepticposted 6 years ago

I don't think you should put him down just because he's getting old. That's like saying you should put down your grandmother because she's old, has back aches, and is losing her teeth. Unless your dog has a serious disease, such as cancer or a failing liver, don't put him down.

4. Puppyluv profile image72
    Puppyluvposted 6 years ago

The final answer lies in your pet's quality of life.  Is he happy?  Does he still eat and drink?  If his dental issues are causing him pain and he's unable to eat, then you can either have the dental work done or put him down so he doesn't have to suffer.  Working in an emergency hospital, if an owner can't afford a surgery to prevent suffering, then euthanasia is the only answer.  Other than finding your pet another home where the owner can afford to treat.  At 12 years old, if you can't afford the dental work and your dog is in pain/unhappy, then euthanasia would be the right decision.

working