jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My dogs stomach is sensitive what is best to feed him that won't give him diarrh

1. profile image47
    drawbowposted 7 years ago

My dogs stomach is sensitive what is best to feed him that won't give him diarrhea

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image82
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

If your dog has a sensitive stomach, make sure you only make gradual changes to his diet.  Abrupt changes will make the diarrhea worse.   

No people food.   For a dog with stomach issues, it's overly rich.

I personally like Royal Canide's Sensitive Stomachs.  smile  But it'll be hit and miss until you find one that works for you.  It may take several weeks for the dog to be completely switched to a new food.  Do it gradually.

Also, have your dog checked for health issues as well such as worms.   

If the diarrhea persists or is bloody, a vet is a must see.

3. alley11 profile image57
    alley11posted 7 years ago

Science Diet
    Hills
    Bufallo
    I work at a vet clinic and those are the most popular.

4. AnnieThePetNanny profile image59
    AnnieThePetNannyposted 7 years ago

Another good food that will help is Prairie. All natural food that has helped many dogs/cats have a balanced digestive system, coat, teeth, and is good for all stages of life. I used to work as a vet tech myself, and one thing I have seen with dogs and Diarrhea is the food is being switched too fast instead of the traditional 2-3 week change period, or there is something else going on inside that we cannot see from the outside. I would talk to your vet bring them a poop sample and wait for the results.

There is one thing that I have learned working with vets that does help with Diarrhea. You can always make bland rice and chicken for 7-10 days or until the Diarrhea has stopped. Then slowly add back in the dogs usual food or if your changing the food make sure you mix the two to make it easier on the dogs digestive system.

Hope this helps and good luck,
    Annie The Pet Nanny

working