Why won't my cat just pee in the litterbox like a normal kitty?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 11 years ago

Why won't my cat just pee in the litterbox like a normal kitty?

My cat has a litterbox. He poops in it faithfully, but never pees in it. He pees in the corner of the kitchen near where his food is. Sometimes he pees in the corner of the bathroom.

2. Sheepsquatch profile image63
    Sheepsquatchposted 11 years ago

Have you ever sat in kitty litter? It isn't comfortable at all. I don't blame your cat for choosing a different surface.

Sunny Robinsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol. He loves squatting over that thing... TO POOP. If he likes pooping in it so much, what's wrong with PEEING in it?

3. petenali profile image82
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

He is just being a cat - exercising his right to be inherently selfish and do just whatever the heck he likes with complete disregard to all those around him...

Okay, I really love this answer. Lol. Seems to be true.

4. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 11 years ago

Sunny, vets will tell you many things, such as urinary tract infections, marking territory especially if there are other pets in the house, that sort of thing, but it can be as simple as he doesn't like the cat litter, he poops on it but when the ammonia in urine mixes with it, he may find it unpleasant. I have a cat I've gone to hell and back over peeing in the floor in front of the sliding glass doors to the back deck. It started with a urinary tract infection. When we took him to the vet, he was diagnosed with diabetes. The vet said he was trying to tell us he needed help. Then he still liked peeing there even after we got him on insulin and regulated. After about three years, and almost considering putting him down, a salesperson at PetsMart recommended a certain brand of cat litter, I believe it is called Perfect Kitty. I don't have a bag right now to verify. She said since it was more expensive, we could retrain him and then go back to our old Tidy Cat. It worked, at least for awhile, then he went back to the door again. Now I have him back on Perfect Kitty and he is using the litter box just fine. It costs a little more, but the price is worth it. I suggest going to a good pet store and telling them your problem, and asking them to recommend an irritant free liter. But first have a vet check him for a UTI or diabetes. If it is a recurring UTI, sometimes just changing their food to a kind made for sensitive bladders will do the trick. And sadly, sometimes there are cats who are just "house pee-ers" for no darned good reason. I sure hope this helps because I feel your pain.

This really does help. I will have to look into getting a higher quality litter box, and maybe a bigger litterbox, period, because he's a big cat!

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A big cat? I definitely had to buy a larger litter box. My Tas weighed 25 lbs at one time, and trying to use the regular sized litter box was ridiculour. He only weighs 18 lbs. now, so he's just a little kitty.

5. thoughtfulgirl2 profile image82
    thoughtfulgirl2posted 11 years ago

Hi there,

Cats do what they want to do, however, it is in their nature to cover their waste, solid and liquid.  Secondly, I think he's trying desperately to tell you something is amiss.  Take him to the vet.  To get blood work is expensive, but it may be worth it. Is he a senior cat? Are his hips bugging him? Did you just get another cat?  I have a diabetic cat.  You didn't mention whether he pees a lot or just normally. Do you feed him dry food.  Males are prone to UTI'S especially if they eat dry food.  Comical, strange, inherently selfish, maybe, but, peeing in corners where you can be found, either putting his food down or using your own bathroom is not what cat's do.  Find out what's going on.  Best tip I can give you: get another litterbox.  Keep two for him.  He'll appreciate it.

The corner of the kitchen where he pees at is where two doors are. One leads to the basement; behind it is where the cat food is. Next to this door is where his bowl of food is on a chair (to keep away from dogs). Second is the door leading to out.

6. ThinkSmart101 profile image61
    ThinkSmart101posted 11 years ago

Hello! My cat, Karen, does the exact same thing. i've been dealing with this for the past 3 months and it is quite irritating. But, i guess cats will be cats.

7. Jenn-Anne profile image74
    Jenn-Anneposted 11 years ago

My kitty also had problems with peeing on our living room carpet. Eventually we figured out that he was scared of the place where the litter box was located in the basement. We'd had a plummer come and work in the area - he made a lot of noise and the cat was quite upset. The litterbox problems started shortly after that. We relocated the box and the problem stopped. We also had to replace the carpet to help him not go back to the same spot out of habit.

8. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Because you allow it. There is a simple solution: get rid of the cat. I know, I know, you love your cat. I don't think cats are our 'friends'. MY friends don't come to my house and pee in the corner or poop in a box, they don't hop up on my lap and put their butts in my face, rub their bodies all over me (though THAT might be nice, depending on who it is), or cough up hairballs for me to step on in my bare feet in the middle of the night, or bring me small dead, eviscerated rodents and birds, or rip up my furniture with their finger nails.

1. tussin profile image58
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree.  Jerk pets are not worth the bother.

9. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Maybe he doesn't like to pee where he smells his own poop?  Put another litterbox in his favorite peeing spot and see if he goes there, then gradually move it out of the kitchen until it's next to the original litterbox.  Or try a new cat litter that doesn't smell as strongly when urine is added to it.  I'd bet it's just the smell of the litter mixed with amonia that bothers him.  Do you use pine? Sometimes that helps.

10. pet shampoo bar profile image60
    pet shampoo barposted 6 years ago

Simply Use Good Ayurveda Pet Products For Your Pet Like Pet Ayurveda Products .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)