jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Concern about diarrhea mixed with mucus and spotty bright red blood

1. profile image47
    gtorresposted 7 years ago

Concern about diarrhea mixed with mucus and spotty bright red blood

Recently our 3 year old mixed Shitzu Llapsa, started to develop diarrhea mixed with mucus and spotty bright red blood.  She has been eating grass since this development.  She has been eating and drinking fairly normal. She seems to be acting normal. She appears non lethargic.  She was an adopted pet and was positive for heart worms.  She was given a treatment and we are now waiting for the 6 month follow up.  Any ideas

2. Sunny Barb profile image61
    Sunny Barbposted 7 years ago

I am basing my answer on experiences I have had in the past with my dogs.  I would have your vet check for parasites, more specifically, hook worms or whip worms.  Tape worms are visible in the stool whereas the others are not.  The other things to consider are if there has been a change in diet. There could be other factors, but instead of second guessing I would take her to your vet.  Good luck!

3. Puppyluv profile image73
    Puppyluvposted 7 years ago

There are numerous medical conditions that can cause bloody diarrhea.  Everything from intestinal parasites to Pancreatitis.  If she starts vomiting or the diarrhea continues for more than a day or two, have her seen by the vet.  If she stops eating, have her seen sooner than later.  If she's gotten into anything such as the trash, people food or anything she doesn't typically eat, this could also cause diarrhea.

4. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 7 years ago

Hi Gtorres,
    She could be infested with worms because of the bloody diarrhea or suffering from enteritis. I could help in some way if you are interested in knowing more I can publish a Hub on the same.
    Dr Joe

5. Bukarella profile image83
    Bukarellaposted 6 years ago

If this was my pup, I'd be bringing them to a vet yesterday. I think you need to make that phone call right now. Hope it turns out something non-threatening and easy to fix. Good luck!