jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My 1yr old pit bull just had surgery for a luxtating patella.

1. profile image48
    luvmypittyposted 7 years ago

My 1yr old pit bull just had surgery for a luxtating patella.

She now is very clingy and always up on me or against me. She also has growled at my daughters friend and when ppl come to my door. She has never growled before and she never barks.Is this all from the surgery?

2. Puppyluv profile image72
    Puppyluvposted 7 years ago

How long ago did she have the surgery?  If it was just in the past day or two, her reaction is pretty common.  The whole event in itself was traumatizing for her.  She's also in pain after the surgery and that's scary as well.  Give her some time to readjust to being home again. Once she's feeling more comfortable and not as painful, she should be back to her old self. 

Good luck!

3. profile image48
    luvmypittyposted 7 years ago

She had the surgery on Feb.11. but this past Fri Mar 11 she got her bandages off and is now aloud to have access to the house. Prior to this we had to keep her to one room without steps. She has changed completely since the surgery....more clingy always has to be right with me, when she growled at the friend i locked her up and then reintroduced them and she was fine then but it worries me because she was never like that before.

4. HappyHerper profile image68
    HappyHerperposted 7 years ago

What kind of breed is she? When she was confined post-op, how much time did you spend with her (e.g. was she alone in a room more often than she was before)? Does she have a history of being timid or unsure?

My initial reaction, without knowing details, is that maybe she was kept in a room that didn't get as much traffic so she may be a little un-socialized or may be have some separation anxiety. I  can see how it may be hard to confine your animal appropriately in a room everyone frequents often.

working