jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Can anyone help me identify this bird? It is very large, about 21 inches long..

1. Mrs. Menagerie profile image93
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 6 years ago

Can anyone help me identify this bird?  It is very large, about 21 inches long...

This morning when I got to work I found this huge and unfortunately dead bird on the deck. It had apparently flown into the window.  It is some kind of grouse but it doesn't quite match any particular type.
    It has a yellow comb over the eyes which should mean it is a Blue Grouse but it is clearly not blue-gray or even close.  Some Sharp-tailed Grouse have a yellow comb but this bird clearly has no sharp tail.  It seems to match the size and description of a Spruce Grouse but they only have red combs and are not supposed to exist outside of Canada (I am in Montana.) 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5041273_f260.jpg

2. love2dogs profile image59
    love2dogsposted 6 years ago

After looking at your photo and photos of female blue grouse, I believe that you do have a blue grouse.
    the females are not as pretty as the males as goes for most birds.

I found photos by using a Google search on "Femal Blue Grouse Images."
    This is one of  the images that I came up with:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanvernon/3722019597/

3. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 6 years ago

I do not have a definitive answer for you. But every time I am stumped about a bird, I post it on WhatBirdIsIt. You can get an answer fairly quick. And since you have a clear picture here, you will get your answer in no time. When you post, make sure you mention that you are in Montana.

4. Inventurist profile image76
    Inventuristposted 6 years ago

Do you, by any chance, have a cat? I'm looking at the foot - the feathers, I'm figuring your cat brought you a present. Nesting time right now so the grouse would want to protect their nest - sitting a little tighter. Just a guess. Why cats are so destructive - they don't eat their kill, they just kill.

5. Miss Info profile image83
    Miss Infoposted 6 years ago

It looks like a chicken. LOL. Sorry I have absolutely no idea on this one.

6. TheGirlNinja profile image58
    TheGirlNinjaposted 6 years ago

I grew up on a farm and if I am not mistaken this bird of a chicken

7. zenna53 profile image61
    zenna53posted 6 years ago

It's a parairie chicken....grouse..go to wikipedia and see which species you have there.  It appears to be a female bird.

8. sairakhan profile image36
    sairakhanposted 6 years ago

color wise its looking like falcon.But from legs i guess its nothing but a hen

9. profile image47
    SHARMILA2004reddyposted 6 years ago

this is a kite. in india these birds are so many. they hunt snakes,chicks.mostly these birds comes to fields in summer in high frequency as a group to hunt rats,small birds.

10. tonymead60 profile image93
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

what did it taste of? I usually find that something tastes of what it is. Just don't add too much salt and pepper or you might not recognise the flavour.

working