How can I help homeless animals without spending a lot of money?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Mr Grimwig profile image58
    Mr Grimwigposted 12 years ago

How can I help homeless animals without spending a lot of money?

I want to help homeless animals, but I can't adopt one or donate a bunch of money because I'm not financially in a situation where I can do that. Do you have any ideas?

2. Kristen Haynie profile image92
    Kristen Haynieposted 12 years ago

Do you have any extra time on your hands? Lots of animal shelters take volunteers, and your help could really make a difference in the lives of the animals that are stuck there. Check with your local animal shelter to see if they could use you.

3. LadyWriter profile image71
    LadyWriterposted 12 years ago

There are lots of things you could do to help...
    You could volunteer at your local shelter; they need people to walk dogs and clean out kennels/stables and countless other tasks.
    Find out if there is anything you could collect for them such as used newspapers, old blankets etc or things they can exchange for cash such as used postage stamps or old mobile phones.
    Maybe you could organise a fundraising event such as a quiz night or cake sale and get all your friends/colleagues involved.
    Finally if your local shelter has a charity shop they may be glad of an extra helper for a few hours.
    Good luck!

4. DTroth profile image63
    DTrothposted 12 years ago

Hi Mr Grimwig...

My name is Diana Troth and I used to volunteer many years ago (in the 80's) at one of our local shelters and worked for one of the veterinarians who volunteered his time for them as well.

There are a few things you can do to help that won't cost you but a phonecall and maybe a little bit of gasoline. 

Many shelters will let people volunteer to take the animals out of their cages and go for a daily walk or play with them in the shelter's "yard" if they have one.

Also, you can take your shredded paper to the animal shelter in the winter and they may use it for the animals bedding and warmth from the concrete floor.  Also, any old, but clean,  blankets you may wanna get rid of are almost always accepted by the shelters too...again, for the winter months.

You can go on a one man (or invite all of your friends and family to help you) spey and neuter campaign to help people learn the consequences of letting their animals continually have babies.  That's the main reason why "MILLIONS" of innocent animals are killed in the "shelters" and pounds each and every single year across the United States.

Some shelters and maybe even some pounds will let you "foster" an animal where they will provide the animals food, vaccinations, de-worming etc and all you have to provide is the love and time and of course, the temporary home.  Not all shelters are this progressive though, but it won't hurt to ask them if they'd be willing.

Good luck with your endeavor! (:

May peace and love and caring remain in your kind and gentle heart and soul...always,

Diana

5. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

My daughter did this........while in college.

She volunteered at the local shelter to exercise the dogs in the shelter yard.   Little by little, she was asked to do more tasks.......bathing, grooming.......feeding etc.......

Today, she and her dog, have taken training, and she works her dog as a search and rescue dog........  She still works with shelters, raising funds, selling T-shirts, sponsoring, " meet the animals".....etc.She really got into it. 

Even a donated bag of food now and then, will help.  Many animals have been displaced due to the housing crisis and rising unemployment.

It doesn't take one person doing great things, it takes several people doing small things!

6. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

volunteer at your local animail shelter or pound I know how you feel about homeless animals it breaks my heart too

7. Evil Stepmother profile image60
    Evil Stepmotherposted 12 years ago

Donate old bedding and towels to a local animal shelter.  When you have a little bit of extra money, you can buy other things to donate.  Others have already suggested volunteering at the animal shelter, but you can also volunteer at places like PetSmart to help the animals they house there for adoption purposes.   

If you're on facebook, you can like, advocate, and share information about pets on pets finder, so that the animals listed there can be helped.

8. rembrandz profile image81
    rembrandzposted 12 years ago

1. I took part in a petition program to help homeless animals a couple days ago on International Homeless Animals' Day if you ar able to do only something passive.  2. You could rescue homeless animals (pups or kittens) and give them to a SPCA home in your area. I have done this several times and it has worked.
    3. Or call a homeless animal home and inform them of a homeless/abused animal and they may go rescue them. That too has worked for me well.
    Hope this helps. yikes)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)