jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best pet to own these days in the city?

1. agaglia profile image82
    agagliaposted 6 years ago

What is the best pet to own these days in the city?

2. quester.ltd profile image60
    quester.ltdposted 6 years ago

if you are willing to walk your dog, then a dog is still the best indoor friend you can have - cats don't need to be walked but they do like to roam, so if you go with a cat, be careful will doors and windows - they have no fear and will jump out into space.
    Saltwater fish are bright and colorful and can provide many hours of peaceful watching.
    But for my money, a dog is the best pet no matter where you live - but you must commit to them as they will completely commit to you.
    q

3. cmlindblom profile image75
    cmlindblomposted 6 years ago

Fish are definately the best!!! they are a way to slow down in a fast passed life. Doesn't mess up your place or annoy neighbors and you can co big. I have a 75 gallon saltwater with a nice group of fish and coral and it is the most relaxing thing to look at. (a little expensive though)

4. Cutters profile image59
    Cuttersposted 6 years ago

I think a cat or small dog. Fish need lots of work and I hate birds but if you are a bird lover I guess they would be good to. IJS

5. rockrweasle profile image70
    rockrweasleposted 6 years ago

It all depends on what you're looking for and what you're able to commit to. If you're looking for something furry that you can cuddle up with, a dog or cat definitely comes to mind. If you're in an area of the city where you're able to walk your dog and spend a good deal of time with it, a small dog shouldn't be a problem. A cat is definitely much lower maintenance and chances are you would get less noise complaints from the neighbors. I wouldn't suggest a bird just because of potential noise complaints if there are neighbors close by. So that leaves small pets such as a hamster/mouse/rat which don't make a lot of noise and are pretty easy to take care of and are low maintenance. Reptiles again don't create much of a noise or space problem, but they can be a bit high maintenance because of their delicate climate. Fish are a good choice if you want a more decorative pet and if you get the right equipment and can commit to keeping the tank clean (which is usually the main commitment with fish).

working