jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is a good breed of dog for truck drivers?

1. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 6 years ago

What is a good breed of dog for truck drivers?

I have just recently started driving a semi-truck , and discovered just how lonely it can be. What is a good breed of dog that would be good for traveling with truck driving?

2. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Hi,

I definately wouldn't go for the high energy breeds like  - Collies, German Shepherds etc.

Probably, just from my own experience, a calmer breed such as the labrador/retrievers would be better - provided of course it gets good exercise when you yourself are stopping for breaks etc. Labs tend to take most situations in their stride without getting worked up about it. Also, despite their calm and friendly nature they can be good guard dogs and protective of their owners.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I think it's more an individual personality thing rather than a breed thing -- the dog has to love to travel, and be okay with spending days on end in the truck with only occasional breaks to sniff out a new place. My dad's truck dog is a lab, but I know people with basset hounds, a corgi mix, and even some breeds you'd think wouldn't do well (a jack russel, a couple of coonhounds, a chihuahua), but the individual dogs were a perfect fit.

4. maddot profile image79
    maddotposted 6 years ago

A poodle! Intelligent, they don't shed fur, won't get into fights, faithful, girls like them, you can give them  strange hairdos (if you are that way inclined), they don't eat much, - one smart dog

5. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

You should definitely get a pit bull, German shepherd, or Rottweiler. I know they're super stereotypical, thats what makes them awesome.

working