jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Will an old (13 years) german shepherd be aggressive or protective to a small do

1. profile image50
    angelovskasimonaposted 6 years ago

Will an old (13 years) german shepherd be aggressive or protective to a small dog?

My  dog is good with only the four of us (we raised him).. He is very protective.. He isn't friendly to any other animals or people.. So I wanted to know if I can raise another young puppy when he'll be older (13-15 years).. Can you help me? Thank you.

2. kingmaxler profile image60
    kingmaxlerposted 6 years ago
  3. iiimusicfreak27 profile image60
    iiimusicfreak27posted 6 years ago

It definitely depends on the dog. I have a 6 year old German Shepherd/Rottweiler and he's very aggressive to our 11 year old Black Lab/Chow, yet at other times he's overly protective of him.

4. Dog Advisor profile image78
    Dog Advisorposted 6 years ago

It could go either way.  To help your Shepherd adjust to addition, be sure to spend quality alone time with him, as well as time with them both.  This will let him know that he is still loved and that it will be okay for he and the new pup to become friends.  Good Luck

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

It sounds doubtful, since you have already observed he isn't good with other animals. How a dog is socialized during it's first 3-4 months of life, the critical socialization period pretty much sets that dog's personality for life. Some dogs like and are tolerant of puppies and some are not. I recommend you test your dog, in a safe way with the puppy before bringing it home and then carefully and gradually introduce the two.

working